Still want to plant one small plot. Your thoughts

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Worsheshire sauce. Let it soak for about 45 minutes. Add garlic powder, pepper, and Lowery’s(sp?) on both sides before grilling.

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

A case of Grain Belt Premium. 1. Drink all the beer 2. eat the steaks

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

For venison I marinate them in Coke(pop)for 6-8 hours and slightly season before putting them on the grill. VERY GOOD!!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

i refuse. A good steak speaks for itself.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

The biggest mistake people make when grilling is putting a cold steak on the grill. Get them to room temperature before grilling. Much more tender!

Try a steak seasoning called “Montreal Steak Seasoning”. All grocery stores carry it in the spice section. That is all I use on fish, beef, pork…Heck I put the stuff on a bologna sandwich! RR

Whiskerkev
    Madison

CC hit this one, Steak should never need a marinade. Tougher cuts of Venison do though, and store bought pork. Try to balance out the marinade by thinking of the chemistry. You want something acidic like lemon, lime juice or vinegar(any flavor you like) and balance that with olive oil or some other medium. Add to this any spice you like. Adding Adolphs tenderizer works well too. Shouldn’t marinade for too long. over night is best but not 3 days.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

no marinade, but I always use a little Lawrey’s Seasoned Salt.

buck-slayer

No marinade here either just dip it in ketchup when its done.

parjack

There is only 1 way to grill steak. 1st off good meat, then put leamon pepper & your favorite meat seasoning. Put plenty of both on steak 1/2 hr before cooking. When u take it off the grill & put it on a plate the plate will be filled with broth from the steak which u pour back on the steak. It sure beat letting all the flavor go to bottom of grill.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I too will only marinade chops. I will however on occasion, marinade a flank steak. White wine, worchestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and liquid smoke. Then the steak is stuffed with cooked wild rice, and carrot shavings, rolled, tied and grilled.

big G

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Ketchup???

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I agree, a really good steak doesn’t get a marinade. Sometimes I’ll pick up a pack of “grill” steaks from Sam’s, or if the in-laws are coming over. These cuts need a little zip sometimes. Keep em coming guys. oh! and ketchup?

showags
    Hastings, MN

I will second the good steak doesn’t need a marinade! But at the same time, you can find a nice marbled cut that is notoriously “tougher” at which time a marinade is warranted. For steaks, I will usually use a red wine/worcheshire sauce with seasoning(usually garlic and montreal steak). For game meat, and the occasional steak, I prefer using Coke. Somebody had mentioned earlier, but for those of you who have yet to try it, do it! The acid in it makes the meat surprisingly tender.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

There is a steak place down by Cabelas called Wiskey Creek. They sell a marinade that is really good. You marinade the steak for at least 8 hours. Melt some butter and simmer with fresh garlic. Brush on the butter mixture as you grill the steak. This will even make a crappy steak taste good.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

a good cut I don’t touch with anything but a hot grill & Montreal Steak Seasoning and a cold beer (or 6) down my throat, however; with times being what they are and in college, I would get the cheap cuts and also a lot of venison steak and I would use a marinade (still use it on venison) equal parts of A-1 : Zesty Italian Dressing…enough to coat the meat in a zip lock bag and I try to marinade them overnight…sprinkle with some Montreal Steak Seasoning and yummy…..

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

i refuse. A good steak speaks for itself.

Amen!!

No cheap steaks and no marinades here. A good quaility steak needs no marinade. I do sprinkle on some Montreal steak seasoning, excellent!! Just ordered a couple Rib rolls the other day!! Should end up being 30 or so thick, juice Rib eyes! Just waiting on the next pick up day, next tuesday.

BIRDDOG

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

For wild game red meat I use Italian dressing….24 hour soak really makes it tender and flavorful!
    I also second the “Montreal” seasoning…..it’s the best!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

at Sam’s club the other week I bought a big plastic grinder of the montreal steak seasoning, I think that it is just one step ahead of the Shilling stuff. Also I grind sea salt after the steak comes off the grill, salt on raw meat tends to draw the juices closer to the surface, and then they drip out into the coals. Oh yeah charcoal all the way!

btomlin
    Albia, IA

The only steaks/cuts I marinade are venison. I will make a mixture of worstishire(sp), zesty italian dressing, and a small dab of mustard to taste(be careful a little goes a mile). I do this in the morning and grill them in the evening…it’s delicious!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

no marinade here either just some black peppers corn A1 or the always wonderful ketchup….use a little Montreal and a dash a greek seasoning and BAHM! Had rib eyes last night!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I was a steak chef for many years back in the 70’s/80’s. The key to a great steak is not marinade. Marinade covers up for a shortcoming in the meat. The best advice I could give anyone is go to Byerly’s and buy some aged sirloins or filets. These will be dry aged for 30 days. This is very critical. Go easy on the salt. I recommend a dry rub like McCormick Savory Herb Roasting Rub. Coat both sides of the steak. Cook on medium high heat for 7 minutes on each side for the sirloins. You will not be able to tell the difference between that or a Manny’s/Murry’s steak. I can guarantee that.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Sounds good!

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

NICE…

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Quote:

Ketchup???

I second that!!!!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Marinade…. Well I have one and it involves Vermoth. … Hmm I’ll have to find it when I get home. Otherwise No marinades!!! Now a rub?! SURE! Ground pepper, garlic, and salt make for a good base, and then you add what ever flavors you like on top of that. place the steak on the seasoning, and pat it into the meat, and repeat for the other side.

OR you can always make a compound butter. Say a little butter brough up to room temp, add Rosemary, or Garlic, Or Shallots, mix together place on a sheet of wax paper in a line roll up and twist the ends toss in the freezer/fridge depending on the amount of time you have. Cook your steak just as you would any great steak (with No Marinade/ seasoning) Just before serving pull your hardened butter out of the freezer/ fridge slice 1/4″ thick rounds and place on steak.

Ok time to go home, and toss a steak on!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am guessing that some here, myself included, may buy a half of beef or even a whole. In that scenario, some of the cuts can be improved by a good marinade. You give me a T-Bone, Rib Eye, Tender Loin or a Porterhouse, and the marinade is multiple HIGH LIFE’s. Flank, New York Strip or Sirloin, a nice marinade with some salt, can loosen it up and jazz it up. Ketchup is for hotdogs….

big G

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I agree, however I substitute Busch Light!

markmoran
    Rochester MN

I like ketchup, but a good steak shouldn’t need any. just a little salt and pepper, and maybe some monterey’s

danno
    Central MN

Italian Dressing. Pour a bottle in a shallow container so that the steak is covered and put in the fridge overnight if possible. Sprinkle some Montreal Steak Seasoning on before it hits the grill. Great for the lower cuts of steak.

They also have Montreal Steak Marinade that comes in a packet. It also is very good.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

that is why I use a vinegar based marinade on venison. The zesty italian dressing is the best I’ve found because the vinegar breaks down the connective tissue while the oil keeps it from sticking to the grill.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.