so… i need help.

• stickerpoint

im planning on a clover food plot next year.
    i want it to be around three acres or so to try at first.
    i have a tractor. and land. but not much else.

what do yall think i need for machinery?soil preparation? seeds?

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Need a sprayer and a rentedroto tiller if buying usedis not an option, and a cultipacker. As for soil prep a soil test will be needed, easly done thru your local farm store. as much as 4000#s per acre of lime may be needed. If you have a low ph. And as far as seed goes don’t believe anything or anybody that tells you imperial clover by the whitetail instatute isn’t the best, they shine above thew rest!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Check with your local Wild Turkey Federation. A friend of mine is a big turkey hunter and is one of their members and he said they have the planters and stuff you’d need. He says you sign up to use the equipment for what day(s) you need it. I don’t remember if you had to pay to use it but I’m thinking you can just use it if you sign up for it. Might be worth checking out.

bradg

Another option that I just tried out, (hasn’t been long enough to see results yet) We rented a no till drill from our County Soil and Water Conservation Office. I had a plot of about 2 acres that got sprayed with roundup two times this summer and then when we planted on Monday we sprayed with roundup again right after we planted to knock everything down again. We planted Rape, Turnips, and 3 different varieties of clover. Haven’t checked it yet, but it should be up very soon. It worked well so far, didn’t have to plow or disc.

Only problem with this option might be if you had a PH problem that was severe. Fertilizer went right on top before all this rain in the last week. I will post more in the next 2 weeks after I see the results.

Just an option to look at if it might work for you.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Where are you located? I may be able to help you or borrow you some equipment pm me if you want to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.