Fertilizer Question

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Wondering if it’s best to till-in the fertilizer when you plant or when you guys typically apply fertilizer?

Joel

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

When using any fertilizer with a high nitrogen content it is best to till it in right away. When possible i till all of my fertilizer in before planting. When I side dress with urea I wait until i can feel the rain drops before any is spread so I won’t lose it to evaporation in high heat.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Thanks Bob! Will I experience any issues by tilling in the fertilizer the same day I plant? Where do you get urea from?

Joel

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I have never had any germination issues when fertilizing and planting the same day. I get my urea 46-0-0 from the cannon falls elevator or the castle rock elevator.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Urea is easy to get and you can get coated urea if your concerned about disapation due to time constraints and mother nature, although it will raise your sulfer levels a bit. Total disapation will occur after 72 hours if not coated . Urea may be a little strong for seedlings and being that it is 46-0-0 there is no P or K to support the root systems eestablishment. Can’t go wrong with triple 17 as starter fert, generaly 15 to 18 bucks for 50 #s. I have had some visable leaf burn this year on brassicas under a foot when top dressing urea hours before heavy rains but am getting huge growth rates on the other patchs that were over 12 inchs when top dressed with the urea.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Great info here guys, really appreciate all of the help!!!

Joel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.