Do No-Till Food Plots Really Work?

• kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve been wanting to incorporate food plots into my deer hunting strategies. I don’t have capabilities of using real implements or farming equipment to achieve this though.
    I was wondering if anyone has used a “throw N grow” type product and how successful it was. Did it attract many deer or grow as advertised. Don’t be afraid to advise me to save my money if these seed mixes really don’t work.

whittsend

Mostly depends on seed to soil contact and weed competition. Preferably, I’d try to kill (and keep killed) all weed growth the year prior via multiple applications of Glyphosate. If you kill it well, maximize seed/soil contact, and limit competition as much as possible, you’ll have a chance.

Try googleing “Frost Seeding”. Ah, heck, here’s the link…

http://www.google.com/search?q=frost+seeding&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

Might be worth a shot. They do this a lot with clovers, legumes, grasses.. you get the idea..

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Throw and Grow works well. I weed kill generally twice late summer on the area on want to food plot. It should turn really brown and weak of which then I will either mow or rake lightly. After that I wait until it is calling for rain and then throw the sead down. I then just drive back and forth with the wheeler to get good contact. On a smaller plot I may just lightly rake to ensure contact. If you get the rain it will be up in a week. Good luck

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Interesting ready so far. I like learning about this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.