gun for yotes

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Is a 17hmr going to work for yotes? I am thinking shots under 100 yards. I have a .270 bolt that is a tack driver with some 85 grain bullets but thought that might a little much for where I am hunting.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m not a fan of the 17 but I know a lot of guys dumping dogs at 100-125 yrds with it. We’ve lost a few too many and I was not happy. If you use your 270, try to avoid the shoulders. I’ve shot a lot with my 270win in 110gr. Bone = HUGE hole, between the ribs with no major bones and dime to 50 cent piece holes

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A .17 is plenty to kill them @ 100 yards. However, don’t be surprised if a less than perfect shot leads to some tracking. I really wish there was a decent rifle in the .17 WSM caliber.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I would regard the 17 the same way I have heard guys use the 22mag. Under a hundred and head shots. I have no personal use of a 22mag but listened to a presenter once at the IL trappers rendezvous who hunted more suburban areas towards Chicago and so he had to use a small caliber, and he said he shoots only to about a hundred and aims for the head.

However I know the 17 is a much faster round with devastating ballistics, but if I was using it I’d only trust myself with what’s above.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I like this chart. The 22 WMR isn’t too far behind. What is lacks in punch it makes up for in the amount of lead it can put downrange in the same amount of time. Love those semi-autos.

Attachments:
    1. 17WSM.jpg

sticker

Great info, thanks guys. I highly doubt any shot will be over 100 yards and if so for sure not over 120 yards.

Next question is hollow points or ballistic tips? I have both but not sure which is going to be more lethal under 100 yards.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Personally, I would go with the HP and hope for a little more penetration rather than instant explosion.

BTW, IMO the best coyote rifle, often times, is a shotgun. If you have a 12 gauge, a 5 pack of buck shot is cheap. If I’m out alone and there is the chance of a longer shot, I sit with the shotgun in my lap and a rifle on the bipod next to me.

Grouse

sticker

Personally, I would go with the HP and hope for a little more penetration rather than instant explosion.

BTW, IMO the best coyote rifle, often times, is a shotgun. If you have a 12 gauge, a 5 pack of buck shot is cheap. If I’m out alone and there is the chance of a longer shot, I sit with the shotgun in my lap and a rifle on the bipod next to me.

Grouse

Without a doubt the Benelli is always along for a yote hunt fully loaded with 3.5″ BBB shot and the Judge pistol is on my hip with 3″ OOOB for the really tight shots. I have killed way more yotes with the gauge than the rifle, but none yet with the Judge.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.