Gull Lake walleyes

• Michael

I am heading up to Gull lake for the week of the 4th, we usually stay up there later in the summer so I am wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing walleye in early July up there? Is the north side of the lake better or do I have better chances down on the south side near Wilson bay? Jiggin raps have been pretty good for me up there in mid/late august just wondering if people use similar techniques in July or if they’re jiggin live bait?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

If you look at the other posts in this forum you’ll see I throw up some comments from time to time. Based on my start to this year, I’m not in a position to give any advice on tactics.

Based on likely water temp and weed growth the shallow stuff is probably over. I’ll bet on the fourth the weeds in less than 10fow will be too close to the surface.

For tactics it seems that almost everyone I talk to is jig or rig. Not saying that other ideas shouldn’t be used, just seems that not many get away from using live bait. Crank baits on the weedline have had some success for me.

I’ve seen and read about using the jigging raps but never tried myself. Maybe it’s finally time to break down and buy a few.

If it’s hot there are a few spots of really productive casting if you know what I mean whistling Especially on the fourth. Squaw point, Ernies, Zorbaz, etc

I’ll be up four days this weekend an back up for the fourth. Will be interesting to see how things are going.

Michael

Still pretty slow up here? I’m heading up Saturday for a week so I’m hoping we can put a few in the boat.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m headed up Thursday night for the holiday weekend.

Last I was in the area was the weekend of the 12th. At least at that time the local buzz was Gull wasn’t giving up any walleyes. Heard of a guide service that was intentionally avoiding it.

I’m hoping that the weedline is fully defined and warmer temps. Maybe the fish will start showing up on the break lines. Talked to someone who uses the Jiggin rap technique and he doesn’t start that until later in the season. Not saying it won’t work just what he told me.

If it’s hot and the fishing is slow I may be doing more skiing than fishing. Just got back from a week in Canada so I’ve done a good job scratching that fishing itch.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@Michael

Any report of how you did? Over the holiday I heard pretty bad reports from local friends. All made the decision to skip fishing and just enjoy the lake.

This time of year I typically don’t work at fishing until the weather cools down a little. Curious if you’re bucking the trend on Gull this season? I’m back in two more weeks. waterskiing vs fishing or both is the question

Michael

It was just about as slow as all the reports were saying…we picked up a few down in Wilsons bay early in the morning and also on Bow tie. Couldnt get anything to bite for the evening or night bite tho. the fish that were caught were on a slip bobbers with crawlers by pulling them out of the weedlines. hardest part was keeping the sunnies off. We switched over to fishing bass for most of the evenings just cause their bite was hot all week. Water temps should be real nice for waterskiing that week!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.