Green Bay suggestions

• ThunderLund78

Despite both teams sucking, I came into a pretty cool opportunity to see the Vikes take on Green Bay at Lambeau this coming weekend. I’ve walked around Lambeau in the summer but have never seen a game there. And while I despise the Pack like any good Minnesotan, I do appreciate the Football history of Lambeau and the chance to watch the Vikes play in another stadium. Staying at a hotel two blocks from the Stadium on Lombardi Ave both Saturday night AND Sunday night – as I’m sure we’ll have plenty of cocktails before and during the game. Looking for anyone’s favorite Green Bay Restaurants/Bars, preferably in the Stadium area, but might be willing to drive a bit. I know they’ve kind of commercialized the Stadium area with the Titletown development, but hoping there’s good stuff there and still some classic joints around. Lay it on me!

Obsession
    Maple Grove

The classic burger joint in Green Bay is Kroll’s East. Your cardiologist might not approve but your taste buds will!

https://www.krollseast.com/menu/our-menu/

If you want a true Wisconsin cocktail, give the Wisconsin Brandy Old Fashioned a try.

dirtywater

The best drinks in town come from your trunk in the parking lot.

If you have bleacher seats, bring a cushion or pony up for the rental. It’s worth it.

If you’re at all into grill your own steak joints, the Prime Quarter is great. Pick your own cut directly from the fridge.

Beyond that? Honestly I’m a huge packer fan and don’t love Green Bay. The tailgating and game day atmosphere is unmatched. The city itself is basically if you took Eau Claire and moved it 3 hours east. My opinion anyway.

donkoehne
    NULL

I go to Green Bay a lot.
    Krolls is great. The pancake house has awesome stuffed hash browns for breakfast. I also like The Bay Resturant for breakfast.
    Pelkins is a great meat market. Uncle Mikes is a must for sweets and bread. Kropps is a excellent supper club.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The times I’ve been there we always stayed in Appleton, so not much help on the bar’s & restaurants. However, I’d recommend, if you want to do the tour, do that on Saturday sometime. Sunday go early, bring a backpack or South Dakota Cooler (plastic bag) of beers and plenty of cash and you will have a blast wandering around the tailgates. GB fans in GB are awesome and will treat you well, if you need a drink or a bite from a tailgate, just ask or offer some cash and they will usually give it to you for free. Also, smuggling booze into Lambeau seems to be the norm, so a plastic flask or 1/5th of your preferred poison is nbd. And with how the Pack have looked of late, and Vikes win last night, there should be a lot of purple in the stands!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

im jealous. Also a lifelong Minnesotan that hates the Pack but ive always wanted to go to Lambeau for a Vikes game. What a blast it looks like! I think the tailgating looks the most appealing to me. One giant party

If you have a chance take some picks and share them with us. Would be cool to see. Have fun and go purple!

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

A few years back I worked a fishing sales event that Fleet Farm put on where they basically took over Lambeau Field. I thought it was a pretty cool deal.

A co-worker’s mom owns a place in Green Bay and we frequented the place. It’s a pretty small bar, but the food was good.

The name of the place is River Street Pier. Be prepared for Rye bread. )

Can I ask why you despise the Packers?

There’s also a Bar/Restaurant the owners of the River Street Pier brought us to, it was in an old Railroad Car. I can’t recall the name, I believe it was mostly a steak house. But a cool experience.

CaptainMusky

There are only 2 road games for the Vikings Id ever consider. Green Bay and Kansas City. Both seem to have awesome atmospheres and the tailgating at KC is legendary. I want to do both at some point.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

The Bar right by the stadium has good wings.

ThunderLund78

Can I ask why you despise the Packers?

Because I’m a Vikings fan! Of course I kid and its all in fun. I look forward to the friendly (mostly rotflol ) back-and-forth and banter in the tailgate lots and the stands.

I will try to take some pics to share. Thanks for the suggestions!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i’ve brought a few different Vikings fan friends to games at Lambeau, and every time they’ve commented on how much fun it was. yes, there’s some good-natured heckling in the parking lot if you’re wearing the Purple, but as long as you’re not “that guy” everyone is just there to have a good time and share a beer – including with the “hated” Vikings fans.

you’re doing it right by staying within walking distance, and by staying Sunday night before driving home. (and of course, there’s the 2-night minimum to get a hotel room.)

near the stadium:
    – Kroll’s for a butterburger and a milkshake. it’s iconic.
    – Margarita’s is tremendous Mexican. order the queso with your chips.
    – the 1919 restaurant right in Lambeau is a great choice after a tour and visit to the Pro Shop surrounded by all of the Packers history you can handle.

drive:
    – Luigi’s Pizza (15 minutes north) for a football shaped pizza. bring friends.
    – Kropp’s (12 minutes northwest) for a true Wisconsin supper club. get an early reservation and get an Old Fashioned or three while you wait to eat.

CaptainMusky

I think Vikings and Packers fans are a lot a like. Both very passionate about their team, but one is more annoying about their success even though they were absolutely terrible for like 30 years. I would like to go to Lambeau just because its like a landmark, but I dont think I would like to be there in the cold on those metal benches.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve never been there for a game. Would like to someday, don’t care who they play.

I’ve been there in August and did the $10 tour for an hour. That was well worth the price. They don’t just talk about the Packers, they talk about the history of football and the sport itself. And let you walk out of the tunnel on to the field too.

Afterwards I ate at Curly’s Pub and had a spotted cow there.

Enjoy your gameday experience Thunderlund.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

No trip to the Green Bay area is complete without having a Kringle

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I’ll be at the game as well and can’t wait. I was there last New Years and that was brutal to watch. I also have tickets to this New Year’s game at US Bank for the Packers/Vikes game. Lambeau is an experience that’s for sure. Packers’ fans are actually pretty decent and were fun to mess with.

I’ll be taking some of these suggestions above.

Fishing the Fall Swamp Donkey tournament Saturday while I am there. Should be a good weekend.

CaptainMusky

What is a Kringle?

Alagnak1

River Street Pier is a great place for fish! After a recommendation from a local I brought my son there for fri fish fry when we were in town for his first game and a stadium tour earlier this year. You know you’re in a local food dive when the regulars all turn around and look at the new guys walking in and give you stink eye for probably being in their ‘regular spot’ haha. I’m a big eater but shouldn’t have had a bowl of chowder for an app because I couldn’t eat all my perch! I agree the Lambeau experience isn’t just for packer fans. Many times I’ve gone with fans of the opposing team and they were always treated well tailgating and inside the stadium.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

ticket prices are going down, so if you can tolerate the poor weather this one will be a good opportunity to catch a game there. i suspect there’ll be a strong showing of purple in the stands.

https://fox11online.com/news/local/weather-forecast-and-packers-record-impacting-ticket-prices-ahead-of-divisional-rivalry-game-ticket-king-travis-loftus-gregg-graycarek-christina-king-minnesota-vikings-detroit-lions-green-bay

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The Packers are terrible, the high temp is 43 degrees, rain, with winds 10-15mph…should equate to cheaper tickets and more purple in the stands I’d assume.

ThunderLund78

I used to be a Vikings Season Ticket Holder and the buddy I’m going with still has them. We’ve always treated the visiting fans with respect and kept it fun and good-natured. Definitely wont be “that guy” I’m too old for that.

I did go to College with a Packer fan who was “That Guy”, unfortunately. -Couldn’t be around him watching the games. One time after a Packer loss to the Vikings a guy we didn’t know came into the bar we all hung out at with a Vikings Jersey. I think the Vikings guy said something meant to be in good fun, but our packer-backer friend almost put him in the hospital. Unknown Vikings guy left his full beer on the bar and quickly exited in the nick of time.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat K wrote:</div>

What is a Kringle?

It’s a pastry native to the Green Bay, Appleton area of WI

Attachments:
    1. Kringle.jpg

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I typed a longer reply but the damn thing didn’t post.

I would get a kringle from one of these places. I think there are a couple of them in GB.

https://unclemikesbakeshoppe.com/

Would also highly recommend stopping at Maplewood Meats just east of GB on Hwy 29 (northside of hwy). They have the best frozen breakfast pizzas I’ve ever had. Kind of spendy (16 – 17.00) but will feed a family for breakfast.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Maplewood meats is west of Green Bay on 29.

MX1825

Pat K. I’m not sure but I think a bakery in Racine is where Kringle originated.

ThunderLund78

The Kringle is definitely a Wisconsin thing – But I think MX is right. One of my best friends is originally from Racine and Kringles are like religion there. He gets a specific kind from the bakery where they were first made. but they’re all over Wisconsin

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Maplewood meats is west of Green Bay on 29.

Thanks Dougie. Yes, that is correct. Not sure why I typed East.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

yes, Kringle’s are “home” down by Milwaukee/Racine…but like most things they’re an import. in this case, Danish. Uncle Mike’s bake shoppe is stupid good for most everything.

Enjoy the game today!!!

Brad Dimond

O&H Danish Bakery makes the best kringle IMHO. Maplewood Meats has great smoked sausage, the German Style Summer Sausage is a favorite.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Wisconsinites would definitely be more knowledgeable about the origin of kringles than me.

ThunderLund78

Well, minus the KC injury which kinda put a dark cloud over the sweet victory, the Lambeau experience was AWESOME! Thanks for the suggestions! After a beer at Badger State Brewing, we did hit up Kropp’s Super Club. Brandy OFs were ON-POINT! As was the true Supper Club atmosphere. Food was pretty good, too. Game experience was terrific, All fans from both sides had fun together, zero bad experiences and a LOT of beer! Hats off to the GB fans, you are NOT Philly!!! rotflol
    After a few more celebratory cocktails outside Kroll’s we went in and grabbed a burger. Cool joint, I kept looking for the bowling alley in there, but there wasn’t one jester Honestly, things were getting pretty fuzzy by that point but I do remember it being VERY good. Was an awesome time and hope I get a chance to go back someday. I’ll try to post a few pics…

Attachments:
    1. 20231028_181121-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.