Grease/lube for reels when you know they are going to get dunked alot…

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Reel lube/grease etc. is talked about a lot in the ice forums and maybe some transcends into open water, but I am wondering what to use when you know the reel is going to end up fully submerged at some point nearly every trip. I have started trout fishing this year and have been going pretty regularly and as a result my reel is taking a lot of dunkings. Whether I lose balance and get wet, or I am working on line wrapped around the end of rod and am hanging the handle and reel into the water its getting soaked. I am noticing it wants to stick and not reel smoothly after dunking. Looking for a solution to prevent it from wanting to stick while I’m still in the stream so after it gets wet the first time I’m not fighting with a sticking reel the rest of the trip until I get home to dry it and oil it.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m guessing the reel is a shimano? Two things caused the binding issue brought on by moisture.
    1. Remove the friction ring

2. Clean the reel and regrease the gears with something other than Shimanos proprietary grease.

Trust me, I did a ton of research on this

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Never had issues with dunking in water, sand is the killer. Don’t set it on sand, ever.

404 ERROR
    MN

I would remove all factory grease and use Hot sauce grease instead of the oil. The grease would stick to the internals more than the oil when frequently submerged.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Hot sauce oil & water don’t mix well.

basseyes

Interesting. Have been using it for a few years, but have not dunk a reel with it in a reel yet. Have been impressed so far, but that’s good to know.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Let’s just go ahead and generalize that oil and water don’t mix. #science

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I second Hot Sauce grease and oil. It works great and it don’t take much.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.