Grease slick by the Pool 4 dam/locks

• riverdewey
    St. Paul, MN

This should generate some discussion! A friend of mine and I were fishing pool 4 between the “Y” and the locks the other night just to check it out. My jig snagged on the bottom and when I pulled it back up it was covered in black grease. At first I thought it was just black weeks but when I pulled them off my hands looked like I had been working on an old car. And it was black grease.

I can imagine where it came from. Is the whole bottom of the channel covered with that stuff?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Did you report it to the DNR?

riverdewey
    St. Paul, MN

Good point. I have not and did not think of that. I’m not that sure they would be all that interested. Unfortunately I did not mark it on GPS.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m not that sure they would be all that interested. Unfortunately I did not mark it on GPS.

LOL! I don’t want to be a jerk, but maybe you should let them make that decision? I don’t think you need a gps to tell them the aprox location.

Now back to watching my own cork.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve seen this stuff before. Don’t think it is grease. Did you keep a sample?

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I were fishing pool 4 between the “Y” and the locks

Just lost all credibility by admitting you were fishing there in the slack. wink

Did you smell your fingers?

riverdewey
    St. Paul, MN

no noticeable strong odor like you get with some weeds.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I was moreso asking if it smelled like oil.

That area you were fishing contains a fair amount of slack water MUCK.

riverdewey
    St. Paul, MN

It did not smell like oil or grease so maybe it was some sort of “muck”. I did send a note to Nick (DNR) and he thought it may have been a clay/mud mix that is very “tenacious” and “almost impossible to wash off”. He indicated that they have to use pressure washers to get it off their boats. So I guess that is all good news. Well that was an interesting little side trip!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Dewey! We all got to learn a bit here! toast

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.