Ice Report 12/3/2012

• mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

The warm weather over the weekend isn’t really helping the ice in the Grand Raids area and to make matters worse the Corps of Engineers decided to play with the water levels on the River.

Most of the smaller lakes on the River chain that had ice last week saw it disappear before the weekend as the Corps of Engineers were playing with the water levels. Fortunately by yesterday most of the lakes had shore ice once again.

There are a few lakes in the area that are completely froze over with 3 to 5 inches of ice out 200 to 300 yrds which plenty to get out to a few fishing spots.

Pokegama, Trout, and Deer and still completely wide open with the exception of a few bays and minimal shore ice. Poole’s Bay is completely froze with 3 to 5 inches of ice and several fisherman out trying their luck with some panfish. Bass Lake is completely froze over and fisherman have been chasing the BIG bluegills on the lake for over a week now. Be aware there is a 5 fish limit on the lake. Prairie Lake is completely froze over with safe shore ice but not enough safe ice to get to the crappie holes for this fisherman.

Had a buddy spearing up on Third River over the weekend and got a few nice northerns, no big fish but enough to keep him entertained for two days.

Hopefully this weeks cold spell will put some ice on Pokegama so I can get the spear houses out and get on the ice to have to reports for you this weekend.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Mike:

Great stuff….thanks so much for the thoroughness of that report. I’ve got a much better idea of where I might, and might-not, roam if I head in that direction soon. I’ll be talking to you about how the ice has held up over the next day or two warm spell.

Thanks!

Joel

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Stop letting people know about the great panfish lakes in GR!!!

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Don’t worry Pug I won’t release the names of all the hidden gems in the area, I will save those for a PM to you when there is enough ice to get out and destroy some fish.

I thought for sure when you come up you would just focus your time on “PUG”HOLE lake anyway.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I thought for sure when you come up you would just focus your time on “PUG”HOLE lake anyway.

That’s the running joke every time we pass it. Less because of my username and more because I have a pug. We call it Tuffy Lake.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.