Cold Front ‘Eyes

• mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Considering the fact that in the course of one day Temperatures went from 70 to 40 degress with sunshine turning to snow. Given these conditions I thought the guys I took out over the weekend were going to be in for a long day of moving around the lake looking for fish. Suprisingly, this was not the case; On the third spot we checked I located some fish and we were able to hook into some ‘eyes on a frigid Saturday afternoon with the air temps around 36 degrees and the wind gusting about 15 mph. It was one of those days where you were glad to get your hands in the water because it was warmer.

All in all it was a good day I had Three Generations of fisherman in the boat of which two first timers in the boat fishing for walleyes and they had a great day on the water. We were fishing Jigs and Shiners in 13 to 18 FOW, unfortunately we were unable to land them an ‘eye for the two younger generation of fisherman. Grandpa Ferraro was on fire and landed serveral nice eater walleyes for dinner. Fortunately there was great mixed bag on the point we were fishing to keep everyone interested in the cold weather as we were able to pick up some nice crappies, sunfish, and a few pike as well all from the same spot.

I can only assume with the weather stabilizing this week fishing is only going to get better right until freeze up and I personally can’t wait to pull some big ‘eyes through the ice.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Mike, was this the first day of the cold front? If so I’ve been noticing that after the front pushes through the following days fishing has been very good! At least in my area for Muskies that is.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

It was the second day after the cold front. I honestly didn’t think we were going to catch anything. From my experience they normally stop biting for few days, but these fish were still hungry.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.