Quick Area Report

• mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

The water temps are slowly beginning to fall and the fish are slowly moving out to the weeks and back to the traditional spots on most lakes.

Pokegama – The walleye bite has been decent along the weed edges for the past few weeks and with the full moon the night bite has been really good. The panfish bite is still red hot and there has been numerous reports of big crappies being caught in the evenings.
    The northern bite is on fire right now, trolling the weedlines or fishing deep for the big ones it doesn’t take long to catch a nice limit of pike.

Trout Lake – Keep hearing the walleyes are biting like crazy, really trying to fit this into my schedule. I may have to take a day off work to head over there, the skinny on the water is this bite is hot right now and a lot of fish being caught between 22″ and 24″ and from reports quite a few over 28″. The slot on this lake is 17″ to 26″ either way I would rather being reeling in walleyes in the slot than not catching any.

Splithand – Both Splithand lakes have been producing nice panfish and crappies the last few weeks. Big Splithand the limit has been capped at five species a piece and only five panfish on Little Splithand. The chance of catching 10″ panfish on either lake is pretty likely.

Sugar Lake – A few reports from sugar that the walleyes are starting to bite. This lake has historically known for big walleyes and has had a lot of pressure the last few years but this is the first time all summer I have heard the walleyes have been biting. I may have to give this lake a whirl some night this week or next as well.

So many lakes so little time….

Haven’t heard any other area reports except Winnie and the bite still seems to be going pretty good and should only get better if this weather would start to cool down a bit.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Few more reports from Pokegama today, fishing is really turning up with the heat lots of fish being caught from 10 to 16 FOW. Spinners with crawlers and shiners are the bait of choice. I caught some nice eyes over the weekend with slow death hooks and leeches. 3 different groups I talked to today caught their limits the last two days with a few big fish being caught biggest being 29 3/4 with a crawler in 25 FOW. Lots of smallies and northerns also being caught while fishing for the walleyes in the weeds along with some nice panfish. Caught a 9 lb nothern and 19 inch smallie over the weekend.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.