Best Map Chips – HDS Gen1 and LCX 27C

• Dfrank900
    NULL

This is my first post so I apologize if this has been covered or if this is in the wrong place.

I have two Lowrance units…. An LCX 27C on the console and an HDS 5 Gen1 on the bow. I am in the market for an updated map chip for each and am looking for the best options for each unit which will provide the best detail for the areas that I typically fish. I am looking to buy a chip for each unit, and ideally would like to find something that could be transferred between units, however my primary focus is on finding the best chip for each. Most of my fishing is done in Northeast SD however I do make it to the MO river, as well as Minnesota and ND on occasion.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Welcome to IDO EyeguySD ….
    IF! you have no immediate plans to upgrade your sonar electronics, I’ say the Platinum edition of Navionics North may serve you very well. As many might say, ‘buy the best you can afford’! Otherwise, Lakemaster Dakotas/Nebr might be another option, but then you won’t have MN. But if you don’t fish MN much, maybe acquiring a ‘used-a-bit’ version 2 or 3 chip for MN would be of help.
    I started with Navionics Platinum North, and they (like most chip companies) have update options that one can buy and keep your chip updated with the latest lake(s) information. I would also suggest besides asking the IDO Nation, that you also search the hell out of the major chip websites and do your comparisons as well.
    Good luck, again, welcome to the IDO Nation

http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/20148/LakeMaster-Maps.html?cid=12773&chid=1&gclid=CISOkq24_70CFSISMwodhTUA8g

https://www.google.com/search?q=navionics+hotmaps&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS510US510&oq=Navionis&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l5.9489j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Dfrank900
    NULL

Thanks Flat!

As much as I would like to upgrade to newer electronics which support the updated maps, it is probably not in the cards this summer. I am currently typing from the NICU where my wife is scheduled to be induced to have our second child on Monday. The doc says to plan on around 6 weeks in the NICU. Could be more, could be less. We are praying for less. Fishing time this summer may be a bit limited as well, but we’ve got a 2.5 year old at home who has been asking to go “fishing in daddy’s boat” every time we stepped into the garage where it has been stored this winter, so she and I will likely spend some quality daddy/daughter/doggy time in the boat since much of our time and attention will likely be on our new arrival.

I am not in a huge hurry to upgrade, and at this time may look at something used but since I have some time to burn, thought I would start my research now.

Any additional input that anyone else may have would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

EyeguySD, Woah you got me there with that info about your new arrival. Being induced is one thing, being in the NICU is totally another. Congratulations, but man, my prayers are with you that all is going to go way better than anyone thinks!

Watch the classifieds here (and anywhere) also Also, someone out your way may have the Lakemaster Dakotas chip. Even if it’s a couple years older, it’s a great chip. Good luck and ‘may the Force be with you’ …

PS/ go to the ‘toys for boys’ forum and see what others are saying. You might run across someone wanting to update and sell their older version chip, which would be a deal for you and them…

KirtH
    Lakeville

Look at the Navionics Premium which will work in both sonars

djsmarine
    Georgia

Lakemaster maps will not work in Lowrance products; Navionics and Lowrance chips only. Lake Insight Pro 2014 is a less expensive way to go but much less detailed than the Navionics

Andrew Moore

Has there been any additional information figured out on this? I recently got a boat with two lowrance lcx 27c units and am looking to get a card for them. Not sure what is the best option to get?

404 ERROR
    MN

Has there been any additional information figured out on this? I recently got a boat with two lowrance lcx 27c units and am looking to get a card for them. Not sure what is the best option to get?

Nothing has changed in regards to Lakemaster, any new chips still wont work with Lowrance units. Your best bet is still Navionics.

You could buy Insight cards, but they separate ND and SD from MN, WI, IA, IL and MI. May not be a big deal for you, however. I have not used Insight so I can’t give an honest review.

CaptainMusky

You could buy Insight cards, but they separate ND and SD from MN, WI, IA, IL and MI. May not be a big deal for you, however. I have not used Insight so I can’t give an honest review.

Not sure where you are getting this info, but the Lowrance C-Map Pro insight chips are the entire lower 48.
    I have multiple chips including the last Lakemaster chip that works in Lowrance units. The Lakemaster Chip and my Lowrance Lake Insight Pro are identical in detail for all of the lakes I have fished in MN including LOW and Rainy. I have compared them side by side.
    I also have a navionics premium chip that I just downloaded the “freshest data” onto it and it has high definition detail on areas the lakemaster and Lowrance chips did not. I have not had a chance to see how accurate it is yet, but will in 3 weeks when I am up in Canada where it shows 1 foot contours where the other chips show nothing.
    The closest thing you can get to the Lakemaster chip for a Lowrance unit is the Lowrance chips. There are many different chips you can get, but for an older unit do NOT get the “HD” chip because your unit will not be able to support the detail anyway and you will be throwing money out the window.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, the HD ones are regional, but IMO they are a waste of money for older units. HD doesn’t mean they are the only ones with 1 ft contours. The HD gets you shaded relief which for older units and smaller screens is useless because it becomes undistinguishable when zoomed in or it may not even work at all.
    Just get the Pro series and be on your way. Put the money saved toward bait.
    I have been happy with Navionics too. There is obvious differences between Navionics and the Lowrance chips, but it goes both ways one chip is better on some waters, while the other is better on others. Nice to have options to compare.

Andrew Moore

Thanks for the info guys. I have read a few places that a lot of newer cards won’t work in these units because the unit can only use up to a 2gb card. Are any of the new cards (navionics, lakemaster, etc…) useable in these units or will I need to purchase a used older card?

Kirt
    Lakeville

The LCX is going to be a problem due to the age and processor speed. The size card in MB will be the issue.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.