Autochart

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

http://www.lakemap.com/AutoChart/

Haven’t found ANY answers to this question on this forum or on Lakemaster’s website. Maybe one of you knows more…

I’m interested in Autochart for my Humminbird. I have two applications i’ll use this software:

1) On waters that are entirely not mapped

2) On waters that already have an HD map.

Question:

Take the Mississippi river as an example. It’s got an HD map, but – It’s an ever changing river system by both natural and man made causes.

Can I overlay the autochart information on an HD or existing map?

i.e.
    On my humminbird, if i’m fishing on an HD lake, will i need to flip back and forth between my Autochart and my Lakemaster Chip in order to be able to view the autochart information as well as the HD lakemaster chip?

I would like to be able to utilize and correct the HD maps where possible, but i understand that the Autochart is a blank map until you fill it in….So why would i drive around the mississippi using a blank map for navigation when all i want to do is to improve the detail on the maps.

Anyone?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I can’t tell you for sure but I would suspect it will not allow for double mapping. Meaning having your automap and your HD on at the same time. Most units – including the 998 gives the option to switch if I remember correctly.

I would think the best utilization of this tool is for something like the MN river were there are no current maps – go out for a day – map an area you want – bring it home – hook it up to a PC – convert your survey to a map – bring it back to the boat for round 2 – BAM.

However, I am not completely sold on it yet as I wish it had up to date mapping were I did not have to bring it home or plug it into my laptop, im sure that will come in the future.

Let me know if you do get it and what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s my intrepretation at this point as well Jakob.
    Will be great for the MN River, mostly because you know darn well that nobody is ever going to make a depth map of that river.

The first place i’ll use it is at zumbro lake. Navionics has it in 1′ contours, but it’s laughably accurate.

Other place it’ll get used is the stretch of the st. croix above stillwater bridge to zebra mussel train bridge.

Would be so much better if you could overlay on top of an existing map rather than only being able to create one from scratch – which will have it’s benefits on some bodies of water.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might want to check with Doc Sonar.

That schmuck used a map from the St Croix (upper) in one of his presentations.

I thought I was the only one that knew about that trough.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

I thought I was the only one that knew about that trough.

I have about 1,000 screen captures and waypoints of that stretch.

KirtH
    Lakeville

If you run Humminbird and own a Nav+ or Hotmaps Platinum North chip chip you can log sonar data of the bottom upload it to Navionics and they will improve the mapping for free if you have a current Freshest Data subscription for unlimited amount of time for the first year of subscription. It is taking about 3-5 days right now as they get caught up it should be an overnight process Navioinics calls this process SonarCharts you can view current mapping on the Navionics Website on the WebApp when you zoom in click on the Sonar Icon on the lower left corner to get the SonarCharts view.

You can do uncharted waters, improve current maps and it adjusts the shoreline which others dont.

They take in account for avg. pool depths. If you own a Hotmaps Premium you can update to Nav+ for 99.00

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.