Looking for a good hand held GPS.

• Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

Looking for a good hand held GPS that won’t break the bank, but not looking for cheap.

Cabelas has the Garmin 62s for $199. It’s well regarded, and you can get 1 chip that has all the info you’ll likely need. It’s discontinued, but a great deal IMO.

The Garmin Upper Midwest Fishing Guide is on sale on Amazon for $75. It states that it: Features detailed coverage of the most popular lakes in North Dakota South Dakota Minnesota Wisconsin Michigan Illinois Iowa and Lake of the Woods/Rainy Lake. From my understanding this is all the last available Lakemaster data, pre-Humminbird takeover.

I’ve heard the Upper Midwest chip is discontinued, so you might want to make sure you get the chip before the GPS.

winterbite

All I use is the smartphone app that Navionics has available. I typically only use it for winter fishing but it works great for the $10-15 cost.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Do you have a smartphone? You can typically get a protective case and a float for many smartphones and the Navionics app is pretty nice, cant beat the mapping quality

I think he wants decent N. & S. Dakota maps (from another post) – he lives right on the border. In all honesty Navionics is lacking in comparison to the data available using a Garmin Upper Midwest Guide, Lowrance Insight or Humminbird Lakemaster chip.

Scroll over to the Webster SD area and see what you have available on your phone, it’s very low quality generic data, at best 5′ contours. The other choices give many of the larger bodies in 1′ contours.

Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

Well I got rid of the H2Oc. Couldn’t find any cards to get for it. Looking for a nice have held, looking at the lowrance endura Sierra. Looks like it compares to the H2O.

smoke grub

most garmin car gps will take a card.. and that can be around $100.. that’s what I have been using for 3 years now.. and may buy a bigger screen unit.. for this year..

mr. sauger25

I have a garmin Oregon 450 t I would sell 2 years old and I used it one trip in Montana like brand new on sale on amazon for 300 make me an offer barter

Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

Can you use Lake insight or Lake master cards with the garmin?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.