Help with GPS coordinates

• gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

I have some spots marked on my handheld GPS for Mille lacs. I exported them to Easy GPS, but when I look at a paper Mille lacs map the N 46.2xx is off the coordinates for the entire lake. (too far north) When I (in Easy GPS) select view online, it puts me right on my spot on the lake. When I take that same lat,long and try to search for in on my navionics app, it won’t let me select anything above 93.59 w
    I don’t get it.

Bassn Dan

There are different methods of recording coordinates. Check if you can change one or both of the units so that they use the same method. If not, you can convert them manually, but that would be a pain in the if you have many waypoints to transfer.

Good luck.

Dan

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

There are different methods of recording coordinates. Check if you can change one or both of the units so that they use the same method. If not, you can convert them manually, but that would be a pain in the if you have many waypoints to transfer.

Good luck.

Dan

Exactly, you are probably using two different types of formats. You can convert here.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

Oh, I never thought of that.. The handheld I used is a Lowrance H2O c. I will try that converter.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If you go in the “Settings” area of most GPS devices, you will see an area to specify coordinate format. Usually there are 4-6 options for format.

The most common formats are:

Degree Minutes Seconds

Decimal degrees

Degrees decimal minutes

Universal Transverse Mercator

There are also variations of some of the above.

Top Tip: If you have a device that only accepts one format, you can use Google Earth to convert coordinates to that format.

Personally, I find the decimal format much easier to enter and to convey to someone else rather than saying 44 degrees blah blah minutes blah blah blah seconds.

BTW, something EVERY outdoorsman should know is how to access your current location’s coordinates and convey them to someone else. We have a LOT of technology these days, but very, very few people actually know how to get this critical information.

Grouse

4walleye
    Central SD

My preference is decimal degrees too. I have transferred way points by hand from my Humminbird to a Garmin Oregon handheld GPS and vice versa, but it can be time consuming. The points are correct as long as you have the same settings(decimal degrees) for both units.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Maybe this will help. It will convert the whole file of way-points to another format. I used it when I went from Lowrance to HumminBird.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.