GPS Question

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I purchased a used boat this past spring that has a Lowrance 332 on it. I go on a lake and the lake is recognized on the unit, love it, immediately have the contours and all that stuff. I bought a HB 597 for the bow and a lakemaster chip. Currently I always load the chip and scroll to find the lake I’m on. So my question is , is there a way to load it so it’s always operating and finds the lake I’m on like the Lowrance? That is really nice.
    Hope the question makes sense!
    Thanks for the help,
    Scott

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

My 798 finds the lake I am on.
    It does take a while,
    so the first thing I do when launching
    is power up the unit
    and go to the GPS screen.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My 597 goes right to the lake I’m on too. Sounds fishy. Are you putting in the chip at the landing? I always keep mine right in it and once the GPS locks on it will go right to my spot on the lake with contours.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Yup same here with the 597, bring up the GPS screen and it finds it in about ten seconds or so. I never take my chip out.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

That is strange. I have a 597 and a 898 and both units find the lake automatically. I have never had to select a lake from a list. I too leave my chips in all the time if that makes a difference.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks guys! Probably operator error! So it’s ok if I just leave the chip in it then it sounds like? Thought I read something about removing it before shutting off,no biggie to just pop it in though. Love the unit but wish it came with a owners manual instead of a disc, usually don’t have my laptop in the boat!
    I greatly appreciate the help as always!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Try calling HumminBird and ask for a users manual. They mailed me one for free. Problem is next update it is out of date but a good reference in the boat.

Another option if you have a smart phone store the PDF file on the phone and you can access anywhere. This also makes it easy to update when the manual changes. Delete the old and add the new. Plus you can search instead of paging through.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thats a good idea Tim, Thanks for all the input everyone, awesome!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.