GPS Question

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

I have a lake near me that has recently been drained for renovation. They are placing a lot of structure in it now. My question is if I go out there with my GPS now and mark the structure when the lake is empty, when I come back and the lake is full (aprox 20ft higher) will the GPS take me to the right spot? Or will the position be off because of the elevation change? Serious replies only please. Thank you for any help.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Good question, this is all i could find.

Attachments:
    1. drain-the-lake.jpg

CaptainMusky

If you mark waypoints it isn’t based on elevation its longitude and latitude. Your GPS may store elevation, but that would certainly be a relative term, but not a variable in determining the waypoint.
    Mark the spot, come back when water is higher and it will work.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, the GPS positions will be accurate. Your position above a point on the Earth is your position above that point regardless of whether your feet are touching that point or if you’re floating 1000 feet directly above that point.

Grouse

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I would say yes. I have been on rivers and lakes that the water level has varied by as much as 10 ft ( Missouri River) for one. Had no issues with waypoints. You should be fine. That would be awesome to be able to do that.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

if I go out there with my GPS now and mark the structure when the lake is empty

I like the way you think. waytogo

-J.

Ivan Knapp

Are they fastening the brush piles down so they don’t move. On a lake here by me they put piles of trees on the ice weighted and cabled together. I marked the locations but when they sunk they moved some quite aways. Just let you know as they will float somewhat and move

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.