Good deer stand chair

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I am looking for something comfortable but something I can easily shoot (riffle) out of. I sit in a box stand with about 3′ high walls. Back is against a tree otherwise I need to be able to rotate 270 deg.

I have tried buckets (5 and 7 gal), camping chairs, short car working on stools, the ball buster tripod stands and that’s about all.

To be honest as an ice fisherman I like the 7gal bucket the best for hunting but it just rakes havoc on my back and is inconvenient for the early afternoon nap )

What does everyone else like?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I put a boat seat in mine. Use the wide base and its surprisingly stable. No need to even fasten it down.

404 ERROR
    MN

If you can make it work in your setup, an office chair is by far the best option.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I have heard good things about office chairs, heck I am more than used to sitting in those all day ) It is possible to make that work but I am not going to get out to my stand before opener morning so I would rather not deal with all that for my first walk out.

I am debating between these 3 and going smallish and cheaper since its only one weekend a year for me. One person in our party hunts out of #3 and like it but it doesn’t swivel but they don’t really have a box they need to swivel in.

Attachments:
    1. option-3.jpg

2. chair-2.jpg

3. chair-1.jpg

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Is this something you will be sitting in all day or just for a morning/afternoon hunt?

I’ve sat in the 2nd and 3rd option quite a bit, and even for shorter sits I’m not the biggest fan. We have a few stands with cheaper boat seats mounted to the bottom of a bucket and those are WAY more comfy.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Is this something you will be sitting in all day or just for a morning/afternoon hunt?

Morning and evening sits correct. Yes I have sat in one similar to #2 and don’t love it, The swivel fabric bucket seat seems nice, and has pretty good reviews on amazon but it just seems chinsy.

dbright
    Cambridge

I have one similar to the top one. It is not very comfortable and it tends to squeak.

Dan Baker

This chair is amazing. Super comfortable, stable, and silent. It sits up higher than a normal chair so it’s great for shooting. I love it for ice fishing as well. The only issue is that it is not light, so it can be challenging to carry long distances.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-accessories/hunting-blind-stools-chairs-seat-cushions/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104607180/cabelas-comfort-max-original-blind-chair/1408096.uts?slotId=0

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This chair is amazing. Super comfortable, stable, and silent. It sits up higher than a normal chair so it’s great for shooting. I love it for ice fishing as well. The only issue is that it is not light, so it can be challenging to carry long distances.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-accessories/hunting-blind-stools-chairs-seat-cushions/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104607180/cabelas-comfort-max-original-blind-chair/1408096.uts?slotId=0

That looks sweet.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

This chair is amazing.

I like that option too. Maybe I need to head to cabelas over lunch. Looks like a solid built chair. Also debating on something like this. Its the same height as a 7 gal bucket so I know I will like that. Packs down small in bag and looks decently built. I am worried at 225 (the max recommended) that I might bottom out the fabric over time. Thoughts?

Attachments:
    1. chair-4.jpg

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If you can make it work in your setup, an office chair is by far the best option.

X 2 on the office chair. I just setup a 6 X 6 box stand and had picked up an office chair similar to the one in this link at a garage sale for 5.00. I sat in it bow hunting last weekend. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t take a short nap.

https://www.staples.com/Serta-Executive-Big-and-Tall-PureSoft-Faux-Leather-Office-Chair-Smooth-Black/product_280583?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:280583&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=280583&KPID=280583&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4KSgybeu3gIVDbnACh2s6w2TEAYYASABEgIkVvD_BwE&akamai-feo=off

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

BW, good idea, I just put one on order from amazon prime, for $16 (amazons price with “free” shipping) its worth giving it a try. No back rest but it might be a good prime hours option when I need to stay alert )

Ill prob still get a chair too and see what I like more. Good to have options.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Stopped in to look at chairs at Cabela’s Saturday, both three leg and 4 leg swivels. The swivel chair they had on the floor was heavy and noisy… guessing it was well used as people were constantly checking it out. Mehh.

The Cabela’s 3 leg chairs for $29 are very uncomfortable, can’t see spending any time in it.

There was a $49 3 leg chair (Primos brand) on the floor that had great back support and much more comfortable. Much better option.

I find that the bucket swivel seat BigWerm mentioned above and lots of foam under and behind me works as well as anything.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I’ve used the 2 1st chairs shown in picture. I dont like them, they creak and the material is noisy, I use office chairs but I bought a swivel chair with a backrest at fleetfarm I’m going to try. I’ve had it sitting outside and sit in it when cold wet etc.and it hasn’t made any noise at all. I’m taking it out to a new blind today

Walleye Hungry

option 3 way above will cut the circulation off to your legs immediately.

garragelogic
    Wayzata, MN

This is the best stand chair and fish house chair I’ve found.

Attachments:
    1. CaptainsChair.jpg

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

100% agree with this. The old man has one and he sits all day in it. It’s not light but extremely comfortable full all day sits

r55945

If you are planning on having children, do not go with the 3 legged option (think of the stools available from Eskimo). Take it from an old man, in a permanent stand a well lubricated office chair with arms is the only choice. That said,on a temporary stand a back rest is great. Go with a lightweight option.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Best chair ever. I use mine ice fish as well as ground blinds.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I used the 1 got at fleetfarm and it worked great as far a being quiet, not as comfortable as an office chair but it was fine for the 4 hrs I sat in it. I really like the looks of the one from cabelas. Looks like its sturdy, comfy. Are they quiet?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Update: I took Big Werms suggestion and rocked a swivel bucket pad on a 7 gal bucket. It worked out awesome. The one I got wasn’t squeaky but it made a tiny bit of noise which was ok. Butt didn’t get sore at all on 2 4-5 hr sits daily. But not back rest got a little stiff on the back.

I am a bucket guy. I like it for hunting cause it keeps me alert over a chair. It worked out nice and I plucked my first 8 point and also plucked another 8 point (FIL’s tag) at the buzzer on our last day too. I saw a lot more deer in places I normally didn’t watch for them thanks to being able to rotate easily.

I brought a simple camping chair too for a short 30 min nap )

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

You should get one of these
    chair

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Woah, and adjustable height. Dang it sticker! why were you hunting last week when you should of been on IDO fielding all my noob hunting qs?!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

You should have texted me or maybe not procrastinated so long rotflol

404 ERROR
    MN

You should get one of these
    chair

I have a few of those chairs. They work great but the padding isn’t the greatest and will give me a sore A$5 in a hurry. I actually use them in my duck boat more than anything…Being able to adjust the front up and back down really helps for all day hunts looking at the sky.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.