Going into Canada – Food?

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We are leaving for Canada on Friday. Staying at Halinshead Outfitters north of Thunder Bay. Hoping someone can provide guidance on what we can bring across the border for food/groceries. Can you take beef steaks across? How about frozen hot beef made for sandwiches? Lasanga? I’ve never had issues bringing groceries across in prior years but it has been a long time. One of the guys going with us sent info that anything with meat is pretty much not allowed. It this true? Thanks a bunch for any info.

Tim Chrouser

U think you can bring any food. In late August we brought meat, vegetables, potatoes, bread, other stuff.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Thanks Tim and b-man. This crap is still confusing. The way it reads to me is you can’t bring baked goods containing meat. No chili lasagna or hot beef. But burger and steaks or other raw meat is good?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks Tim and b-man. This crap is still confusing. The way it reads to me is you can’t bring baked goods containing meat. No chili lasagna or hot beef. But burger and steaks or other raw meat is good?

That seems backwards. Raw meat is usually a issue and cooked isn’t

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Only time I had a issues was crossing back into Minnesota. After saying I had no produce with they found a banana in my lunch box. Got detained and had to wait for the produce inspector to go through all my stuff.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can recall a few years ago they prohibited the entry of eggs because there was an outbreak of avian flu here in the states. I didn’t look at B-man’s link to confirm if that rule is still in effect.

My Father’s group of 10 goes through a lot of eggs while they are there for a week so they had to buy eggs once they got into Canada which was about 4 times the cost.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Here is the info from B-man’s link I think applies. Sorry the formatting didn’t copy over from the link.

Products allowed into Canada from the United States
    Note
    Some items do need documents to accompany them.

Animal fat or suet
    Up to 20 kilograms per person

Baked goods, candies, etc.
    No goods containing meat

Coniferous wreaths and Christmas trees
    Refer to AIRS

Dairy products (for example: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)
    Over $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty

Fish and seafood
    All species except pufferfish and Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis)
    When importing a susceptible species of aquatic animal, an import permit will not be required when importing individual maximums of each of the following commodities of aquatic animals:

10 dead finfish that are not eviscerated
    4 crustaceans with head on shell on
    3 kilograms of molluscs
    Import permits are required for all live susceptible species of finfish and for amounts of crustaceans and molluscs greater than the limits listed above.

Flowers: cut
    Refer to AIRS
    Check out the Directive D-14-03: Phytosanitary import requirements for fresh and dried branches, cut flowers and other plant parts for ornamental purposes

Fruits and vegetables
    Dried (including herbs)
    Up to 15 packages per person (but not more than 250 kilograms)
    Fresh
    1 bag up to 4 kilograms of US No. 1 potatoes per person and the bag must be commercially packaged
    15 packages or less up to 250 kilograms of fresh fruits and vegetables per person (excluding potatoes)
    Must be free from soil, pests, leaves, branches and plant debris
    Check out the Plant Protection Policy Directives – Horticulture for more information
    Frozen or canned (including herbs)
    Fruits
    Up to 15 frozen packages or 15 cans per person (but not more than 250 kilograms)
    Vegetables
    Up to 20 kilograms of frozen or chilled vegetables per person

Game animal carcasses
    With a hunter’s permit or a licence
    Provincial restrictions may apply. For example, on deer, there may be restrictions due to chronic wasting disease.

Infant formula
    Up to a maximum of 20 kilograms per person (commercially packaged)
    Milk based or non-milk based, (dry/liquid) formula
    For personal use only
    Sealed
    Leather goods and skins
    Fully tanned hides and skins only

Meat and poultry products (for example, jerky, sausages, deli meats and patties, foie gras)
    Packages must have identifying marks, indicating what the product is
    Proof of country of origin may be required

Meat and poultry: fresh, frozen and chilled
    1 turkey per person
    Packages must have identifying marks, indicating what the product is
    Proof of country of origin may be required
    Note
    Within this limit on meat, the CBSA may have specific requirements.

Plants and plant parts for planting
    Refer to AIRS
    Check out the Directive D-08-04: Plant protection import requirements for plants and plant parts for planting
    Sea shells and sand
    Sea shells and items made from them
    Small quantities of sand from salt-water beaches
    Must be free from all animal matter, soil, soil-related matter and plant debris
    Spices, tea, coffee, condiments
    Entry permitted
    Wooden souvenirs
    Must be free of bark, insects or evidence of insect activity

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Huh. We went two years ago and packed whatever we wanted for food. And this was for a 10 person group for 5 days.

Only thing we paid attention to was alcohol and tobacco

blank

Huh. We went two years ago and packed whatever we wanted for food. And this was for a 10 person group for 5 days.

Same thing for me every time I’ve crossed the boarder at Baudette or IFalls, probably close to 20 times in the last 6 or 7 years. Only thing they’ve ever asked about have been alcohol, tobacco, guns, knives, and bear mace. Have never been pulled aside for further questioning or search either.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just Got back a week ago. We have never had a issue with anything we have brought. We bring. Meat ( both cooked and Uncooked ) Milk, eggs. bread, Ect. I guess I was never aware of any restrictions. The only thing they ask about is liquor. 1 Qt. or 1 case of beer each is what I believe is allowed. Bring your max. you dont want to but beer there. I believe we paid like 50-60 $ for a 12 pack. Its crazy expensive. The funny thing the cheap US beer is the most there.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Just Got back a week ago. We have never had a issue with anything we have brought. We bring. Meat ( both cooked and Uncooked ) Milk, eggs. bread, Ect. I guess I was never aware of any restrictions. The only thing they ask about is liquor. 1 Qt. or 1 case of beer each is what I believe is allowed. Bring your max. you dont want to but beer there. I believe we paid like 50-60 $ for a 12 pack. Its crazy expensive. The funny thing the cheap US beer is the most there.

$50 to $60 for a 12pk? Im assuming that was not at The Beer Store, their advertised prices are less than that for cases (of the more common beers up there). I only checked becasue I would have been surprised to see the price of beer double in the past 2 years, I wasnt aware of any shortages like lumber )

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Dang. Captain Morgan Rum is 43.00 for 1100 ML. A 1.75 handle (1750 ML) is about half that at Sams Club in the US. Looks like I may have to break open my piggy bank. -(

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Same thing for me every time I’ve crossed the boarder at Baudette or IFalls, probably close to 20 times in the last 6 or 7 years. Only thing they’ve ever asked about have been alcohol, tobacco, guns, knives, and bear mace. Have never been pulled aside for further questioning or search either.

Ditto for me for the last few years and this August too. Headed up tomorrow morning again and bringing burgers, brats, sausages, eggs, hashbrowns

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Yeah, typically they don’t ask cause 40 lbs per person is a lot and unless you have a trailer full of coolers, I’d think you are okay

We’ve been asked about eggs and pork before (not always) but that was about it.

maddogg

Canola oil
    Breading
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Bread
    Butter
    Beer

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.