Going back to gas???

• castle-rock-clown

Is anyone here that owns or has owned an electric auger gone, or are going to, go back to gas?

Coletrain27

Why would you? Unless you live in Canada and fish 4’ ice all the time

Alex B

I couldn’t go back to the noise,weight, and maintenance.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not a chance.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No but bought one for a back up. As long as the auger batteries don’t get out dated like drills do we should be all good

Jason

Yes, when I want a 10″ hole while pike fishing or in a permanent house setup I will go back to my propane auger.
    Most times my 8″ LiteFlite fills my needs though if Im on the move.

stevenoak

Now I got the girly fancy carpeted topper. Not a chance. I’m far enough south. Lucky to get a foot of ice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If I take a trip far north late season with exceptionaly thick ice I will take my gasser for sure.

Ryan Overson

Who doesn’t love the smell of oil and gas on cold crisp morning?

castle-rock-clown

Well, I admit I’m trolling a bit. I remember years ago when electric augers came on the scene and were given a hard time. Fast forward to today and the subject is the soon arriving electric pickups that will for some of us be transporting us out to our favorite ice fishing spot.

Now the electric ice augers aren’t cheap, but would you go back to gas, and only gas if it were half the cost of electric?

Coletrain27

Well, I admit I’m trolling a bit. I remember years ago when electric augers came on the scene and were given a hard time. Fast forward to today and the subject is the soon arriving electric pickups that will for some of us be transporting us out to our favorite ice fishing spot.

Now the electric ice augers aren’t cheap, but would you go back to gas, and only gas if it were half the cost of electric?

I use drills that I use all year long instead of buying a designated electric auger

hnd

we put a kdrill bit on a strikemaster head. We use it when there is 20+” of ice when we go north. but otherwise there is 0 reason for us to have a gas auger.

I relegated my 2704 to household backup duty after 6 years of hard use on ice and almost daily outside of season and bought a new 2804. 2704 was still kicking but I could tell earlier this summer when drilling out wires holes in the basement I could start to smell her.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

HELL NO!

Nodakk

Why would you? Unless you live in Canada and fish 4’ ice all the time

Justin Jenkins on YouTube lives up in Baker Lake in the Territories and uses a Strikemaster 40V to drill through 7ft+ of ice

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have a lite flight on a dewaldt drill… work great! I also have an Eskimo gasser that I use when I am not worried about weight. I like it too as I have never worried about running out of battery. I like the gas auger, I can keep a gallon gas can in a rubbermaid tote in the back of the truck along with some other things. IF it leaks, it is contained by the tote, and I have extra gas for the auger, chainsaw, atv, snowmobile, truck, duel fuel stove or lantern, the other guy that need gas for something. I have ran a flex volt 60 out of juice before fishing. I have never ran out of the ability to make a hole in the ice. For that reason I will always have a gas auger. But I will also always have a drill and auger. If there was some reason to only have one it would be a gas one for me.

Gitchi Gummi

My auger is a 10 year old strikemaster and it still works great. Starts on the first couple pulls, idles great, and cuts nicely. I’ve used the electric augers that my friends have and they’re really nice. I don’t think I can pony up the money for one while my gas auger is still running flawlessly. I’d rather stick that $600 or whatever it is into better electronics. I don’t think an electric auger will catch you more fish whereas taking that investment (assuming you already have a fully functioning gas auger) and putting it into electronics like livescope or mega live could potentially result in more fish if you only have a standard flasher currently.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Overson wrote:</div>
    Who doesn’t love the smell of oil and gas on cold crisp morning?

This guy!

same here, I never divorced gas!!👍

dbright
    Cambridge

I bought a electric setup last year and still use my gas when searching. Early in the season and wheelhouse duty goes with the electric.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i do kind of miss the 2 stroke smoke smell! can the new battery technology replicate the smell for us having withdrawals?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Had an Ion when they first came out and hated it, the battery would get cold and it wouldn’t work.
    Bought a strikemaster gas took it up to LOTW there’s a plastic piece in the recoil that broke. Had to buy an auger up there so I went with a jiffy propane.
    Hell of a good auger. (iowaboy1 will soon find out)
    Then the 40 V SM came out, pulled the trigger and there is no way I’m going back.
    Might have to pick me up the 24 V though.

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

Picked up an ion 5 years ago while waiting for my gas auger to get fixed. Lol never used the gas again.

Ahhhh yeah I don’t think I can go back to gas…I’m running the 24V strikemaster with an 8″ liteflite in my SnoBear and am very impressed with it so far. I even contemplated selling my Tanaka powerhead that I put my 8″ Nils on, but am going to keep it for the spring time when I really want to swiss cheese the ice for crappies. The Tanaka motor runs soooo smooth and just absolutely rips with the Nils on it! This reminds me I should go fire that little guy up and burn some gas through it. MMMMM cold smoke 2 stroke!

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Ridgid drill on a Ice Kicker 2 with an 8inch Mora love it! Eskimo sits in the garage .Nils for the thick stuff plus adapter for the ice kicker 2.

Reef W

Used my new 24v strikemaster yesterday and I’d carry a bucket of batteries before I ever use a gas one again. Only drilled about 10 yesterday but battery still says it’s full.

Ripjiggen

i do kind of miss the 2 stroke smoke smell! can the new battery technology replicate the smell for us having withdrawals?

Just dump some gas on the battery…and make Vrooom Vrooom sounds with your mouth.

denali

I run a 20volt on a 7inch, and think I always will. Can’t pull those strings anymore

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.