Speed Trolling Rapalas for Walleye on Lake Pepin – Go Angling – E5

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

On episode 5 of Go Angling – Join James Holst and Pat McSharry as they teach you how to speed troll rapalas on Lake Pepin.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have to say I really like this series of video’s so far. Quick, right to the point. No dealing with a ton of commercials.

Nice job guys!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have to say I really like this series of video’s so far. Quick, right to the point. No dealing with a ton of commercials.

Nice job guys!

We’re enjoying making them!

abster71
    crawford county WI

Awesome job guys great information on the gear guide as well as location points to look for in not your normal conditions that we anglers have hard time getting on bites. Hope to put it to use in other areas of the ol miss. Thanks and keep it coming.

shockers
    Rochester

My favorite so far.

James, do you use a short leader when trolling like that on Pepin? If so, can you describe?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My favorite so far.

James, do you use a short leader when trolling like that on Pepin? If so, can you describe?

No leader needed. I tie the 20# Sufix 832 direct to a #2 crosslock snap that connects to the crank eyelet. The combo of limited visibility and fast trolling speeds make line visibilty a non issue.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

James do you believe you get better action using a snap vs trying direct? Do you ever use a snap swivel?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James do you believe you get better action using a snap vs trying direct? Do you ever use a snap swivel?

I’ve not noticed any difference in action tying direct versus the snap for this application. The snap is very convenient when it comes time to change cranks.

Ross Gunderson

Great video James!! Makes a guy want to drop everything and load up the boat.

disco bobber

I am not sure I would call that speed trolling. I have caught Walleyes pushing a wake with the bow in the air on a 16 ft aluminum boat. I am guessing 7 or 8 mph.

Michael Lentz
    Rochester, MN

Great Video! Boys even got the urge to go trolling watching it!

Randy weiskamp

Was the rappala all you were using? Was there anymore to the rig?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Damn, even I was looking for a hole in my schedule to find my walleye rods and head down to the lake!

I’ve always wanted to fish the Bay City flats, but just never found the time. I need to re prioritize my priorities!

As others have said, that was a very inspiring video!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Was the rappala all you were using? Was there anymore to the rig?

That’s it. This is a super simple no frills presentation. #5 shad raps have always been the best baits for my boat on this bite.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I think this topic brings back many memories !

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think this topic brings back many memories !

You, Dustin Stewart and I made this bite an early summer ritual for ten + years. Good times!

Carol Knowles

Nice job guys!

x2!!

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Maybe I missed this part. Am I wrong in assuming you were trolling into the current ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Maybe I missed this part. Am I wrong in assuming you were trolling into the current ?

Both up and down current trolling runs worked the same. Current in the areas targeted is so minimal we don’t factor it in to our speed. If the wind does kick up, which we always hope it does as windy days are always more productive than calm days, we do favor trolling runs with the wind and waves versus going into wind and waves.

holstc

James,
    Do you find these types of locations are more productive on the upper half of Pepin or just as affective downstream in this early June flooded bite?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

By this point in the season the fish are spread all throughout Lake Pepin. Wind direction plays far more of a role in determining the best stretches to fish then section of the lake in my opinion. If you’ve got a good wind crashing into a stretch of shoreline, fish it, and there’s a good chance you will be successful. If you opt for a calm stretch there’s little chance you will be successful using this particular presentation.

A couple of my best trolling runs using this technique are immediately in front of and across the river from Roschen Park and as far south as Maple springs on the Minnesota shoreline and Deer Island on the WI side of the lake.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Nice video, I see you steer the boat with the big motor how come you dont use the bow mount with remote for more hands free? sure fun when they are biting like that!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nice video, I see you steer the boat with the big motor how come you dont use the bow mount with remote for more hands free? sure fun when they are biting like that!

I use the bow mount to steer open Water trolling but the bow mount just doesn’t pull the boat around the way I need when using this presentation. we’re in and out of trees and making huge course corrections around points and other obstacles and the bowmount just doesn’t do a good job with that.

In all honesty even using the steering wheel works poorly in comparison to a tiller steer kicker motor. Skeeter no longer offers one on the 2200 which, in my opinion, is a huge mistake. Can’t for the life of me understand why anybody would want controls on a kicker motor when you can use a link bar and a troll master to do the same thing and have the option to steer with a tiller handle if you want it.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

James,
    You have always been very gratuitous when it comes to helping and answering questions.
    Thank you.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

James,
    You have always been very gratuitous when it comes to helping and answering questions.
    Thank you.

Agreed! And great job on the new series!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James,
    Thank you.

Agreed! And great job on the new series!

Thanks guys! We’re really enjoying this new production and appreciate everyone’s feedback to date. Our goal is to be as diverse as possible with the species we cover and our destinations so we should have something for everyone.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.