GMC COMMERCIAL

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This summer I ordered a F350 crewcab long box. Ordered it with only what I wanted, when I was done at the dealer it was $1500 more than an F150 built almost the same way. What people are paying for a half ton is beyond stupid.

The waiting on delivery is a completely different story, guess I will just hurry up and wait…

As much as I’d want a 3/4 or 1 ton, I really like the fact that a 1/2 ton weighs considerably less, especially for ice fishing. I like the way a 1/2 ton drives, I like the price of tires, brakes, oil changes. Not to mention how it rides.

Until the need arises, it just makes sense for me to buy a 1/2, even if it is the same price as a HD truck. In 2015 it definitely was not even close. A comparable 3/4 ton was at least $15 more.

Regarding the whole self driving thing, it’s something that is going to make everyday driving much safer. Even if you don’t use it to steer on a trip, the computers are constantly monitoring the road for hazards and can take over faster than you can. Something that’s impossible for a human to do. Especially at the speeds we travel today and the number of distractions we have today.

There’s a bunch of videos out there of the Tesla collision avoidance system in action. It may not have prevented all accidents for those that are paying attention but again, it’s impossible for humans to pay 100% attention. Not only that if you hate tailgaters this type of technology when use won’t allow you to tailgate.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If there is to much tech in the trucks don’t buy one. Go find a 1989 Ford-Dodge-Chev and rebuild it. Have the suspension redone, drop a new drive train, redo the interior, have the body redone repainted. Drop in a am / fm / 8 track and you are good to go. Likely will have less $$ involved and you can build exactly what you want and in the colors you want.

Life is full of choices.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The absolute worst one is the third year rerun “One for you, one for me” GMC trucks.

This one always gets me too, I can just imagine my wife’s reaction if I brought home a vehicle that most likely was the wrong color and didn’t have the 2-3 main things she wanted rotflol

Crappie I agree, but have resigned myself to the fact that we are now grumpy old men at a fairly young age. jester jester

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I also want to mention my wife was involved in an accident where a young driver took a left turn in front of her in a failure to yield situation and my wife had no chance to avoid and t-boned her. The young driver decided to make a left turn without being able to see what was coming because another oncoming vehicle was blocking her vision. It makes me wonder if a collision avoidance system could have seen this happening before my wife did.

The other driver was cited for failure to yield in the accident.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Oh boy! Now I can pour coffee from my thermos without spilling as much.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The dumbing down of America and in this case drivers isn’t the answer. If you aren’t capable of safety driving a car without all the Tech take a bus or train.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The dumbing down of America and in this case drivers isn’t the answer. If you aren’t capable of safety driving a car without all the Tech take a bus or train.

The tech is meant for people like you that always have their head in the sand.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Awe Matt….ya come up with that all by yourself? Good job applause

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You’re sort of wearing out that dumbing down of America comment. Quite ironic really.

dirtywater

my old man was bragging about not having to touch his brakes a single time between Hudson and Minneapolis, the vehicle does it all for him. i borrowed that vehicle once to tow my boat. imagine my surprise when i started backing it down the ramp and the accident avoidance system started beeping and slammed on the brakes for me. i’m sitting on the ramp with a line of guys waiting and i had to get into the owner’s manual to figure out how to turn that feature off. chased

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You’re sort of wearing out that dumbing down of America comment. Quite ironic really.

Why because it’s true? When should people be required to take personal responsibility for their own lives? Why do we need to rely on TV, radio, vehicles ect. ect. to monitor our lives? They don’t even teach writing in school anymore, at some point you can point at a picture and the computer will write down what you meant or at least what it wants you to mean.

There is a vast difference between safety & convenience and being lead around by the nose and being told whats good for you.

But as in everything else you know whats best so I’ll rely on you to guide me through the balance of my life.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I kinda have to agree with Dutch on this one. My son has some learning difficulties and they stopped trying to teach him to write and are not concerned about it. We are slowly not learning things anymore. So in a sense what else would you call it other than dumbing us down.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

This has been several years now but I was shopping for a SUV and loved asking what size engine it had. Some knew but most had to resort to, you guessed it, their cellphone to find out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The absolute worst one is the third year rerun “One for you, one for me” GMC trucks.

This one always gets me too

Can’t stand that commercial. No one buys two brand new vehicles at the same time like that. The one where the husband buys a puppy and the wife buys a Sierra is really dumb too and is on a lot this time of year.

I will admit that I do kinda like the next generation tail gates on some of these trucks.

JEREMY
    BP

What do you mean they stopped teaching kids how to write. Are you talking cursive or just writing in general?

CaptainMusky

There’s technology that makes sense and there is technology that is stupid. My truck has an auto bright feature on there which turns my brights on for me when there are no cars around. It’s greatly appreciated and helps driving in rural areas at night. I can manage the steering wheel myself

How do you feel about the backup knob on F150s? If someone cant back a trailer up using their mirrors and must use a vehicle to “steer” for them they need to hand over their man card. I dont care about that self steering crap, it doesnt work on 90% of the roads and is a monthly fee to use.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They stopped cursive a while back. They still at an early age teach writing but if kids aren’t good at it they just let it go.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

X2 applause toast

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Point is, we all have some tech that we love and we all love to make fun of others tech loves. While I don’t feel I have a need for the fancy tailgate, I admit that I sure would like the heated and cooled seat”

Exactly.

Technology always encounters resistance and everybody always thinks they are already doing it better than technology ever could. I remember guys b!tching about ABS when it first came out. Who needs this cr@p? I can pump the brakes and stop way faster than a damn computer. Well, no, actually you can’t. And after 20 some years, I don’t see anybody in a hurry to delete ABS from their new truck.

Same thing with guys now saying no way would I ever use self-driving, the implication hanging there is they see themselves as vastly better drivers than any computer could ever be. Well, that may be, but drive around MN and WI for a while and watch how the average driver can barely keep his vehicle between the painted lines…

Yeah, present company excepted, of course, because at IDO, we are all above average. But for those average and below people out there, when self-driving is out there, let the computer drive. It’s way safer. I have met the enemy, and he is us. Err, I mean “them”. He is them other average guys.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    technology ain’t gonna stop evolving boys

There’s technology that makes sense and there is technology that is stupid. My truck has an auto bright feature on there which turns my brights on for me when there are no cars around. It’s greatly appreciated and helps driving in rural areas at night. I can manage the steering wheel myself

Huh? How do you manage using the blinker if flicking your brights on is almost to much ?

CaptainMusky

Huh? How do you manage using the blinker if flicking your brights on is almost to much ?

Many people dont opt for blinkers in their new vehicles. Heck, I past 3 vehicles this morning in the dark with no headlights on.

Ripjiggen

This thread cracks me up. Tech in trucks bad…
    Tech in ice fishing good…

You stripped down truck Guys still using jiggle sticks sitting on a bucket staring down your hole.

It’s 2020 gents new tech is here to stay.

Oh and stay off my lawn. jester

CaptainMusky

This thread cracks me up. Tech in trucks bad…
    Tech in ice fishing good…

You stripped down truck Guys still using jiggle sticks sitting on a bucket staring down your hole.

It’s 2021 gents new tech is here to stay.

Oh and stay off my lawn. jester

Fixed it fer ya LOL

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

Many people dont opt for blinkers in their new vehicles. Heck, I past 3 vehicles this morning in the dark with no headlights on.

Heck I wish I could turn my headlights off on my GMC. You could not imagine how many times I get bitched at while backing my boat in in the dark. Stupidest thing ever.

RVRDUX

Ripjiggen

Thanks captain the 1 on this damn flip phone is always acting up.

CaptainMusky

Heck I wish I could turn my headlights off on my GMC. You could not imagine how many times I get bitched at while backing my boat in in the dark. Stupidest thing ever.

RVRDUX

Turn the headlight knob to the left turns off the automatic lights.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I turn my lights off backing the boat and tritoon at dusk, driving on the ice at night so I’m not shining on other shacks/people, driving in the fields to go hunting, and when I leave the truck running in Winter for lengthy periods of time while I’m out working. If there are trucks where you cannot turn off the headlights, that seems annoying.

JEREMY
    BP

If its older then 2007 push the dome lamp button 3 times.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RVRDUX wrote:</div>

RVRDUX

Turn the headlight knob to the left turns off the automatic lights.

That only works in park. As soon as you put the vehicle in gear they come back on. It is a law in Canada so any vehicle that is built in Canada has this. No way to disable. By stupidest thing ever I mean I think it is stupid that you cannot disable this. Not the getting yelled at part because I agree with them.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.