GM mechanics familiar with 2011 Acadia,Traverse, etc

• hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Looking to possibly purchase a 2011 GMC Acadia, appears they have had some transmission and timing chain stretching issues. What are your thoughts on this.

CaptainMusky

I’m not a mechanic, but we have a 2009 Outlook which is the same thing. I am fairly certain that those issues you referenced were for the older models prior to 2011. We actually had the timing chain replaced under warranty at 119,000 miles (they extended it to 120k) because of all the problems.
    We bought the vehicle used and its been a pretty good vehicle. We have taken it all the way to Houston, TX and back twice and never had any problems. The one thing I complain about and continue to have issues with is headlight bulbs. These dang things burn out ridiculously often. Just replaced one again last night.
    I had to replace the plug on one side because the original one burned and so far that repair has been fine, but literally I have replaced the bulbs like 7 times in 3 years.

TipUpFishOn

I’ve seen many of the timing chain stretching complaints. If you’re looking at a V6, the 3.6’s are notorious for the front timing chain cover leaking oil. Had a 2009 chevy malibu with the same engine and had the leak. Talked with a mechanic at the GM dealership a couple times about it and he said they’ve seen loads of SUVs with that engine with same problem. Pre-purchase inspection should tell you if it’s an issue.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Pre-purchase inspection should tell you if it’s an issue.

^^^^^^^^^^

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Have the rear suspension looked at.They have some bushings on the lateral arms that get worn and wear the tires off on the edges.We have a few that come into our shop with a bunch of miles and can only think of one that had tranny issues.That one was at about 75-80000 thousand.I’m not even sure it was an issue but GM paid 1\2 or 3\4 of it.I think to get her off there back.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Thanks for the quick responses. This is a difficult process. Sure don’t want to buy someone else’s problem vehicle.

Nathan Bayerl

My mechanic said to stay away from the 2008 to 2013 models as they all had different problems.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Many of the timing chain issues come from running them low on oil and starving the chain of lubrication. People run 7500 to 10,000 miles between oil changes now, which is fine with synthetic oil BUT some vehicles use some oil and 99.9% of people NEVER pull the dipstick to check oil level. The vehicle might not use oil when it’s new but at 80k it might. The synthetic oil company ads say you can run up to 25,000 miles before changing it. The ad doesn’t say you don’t ever have to check it.
    I change oil all the time and sometimes are lucky to get 3 qts. to drain out of the engine. That’s a fact.

John Timm

I personally know 4 different people that own, or have owned a Traverse/Acadia and they have all had issues. From the timing chain, to wheel bearings (which were a fairly expensive fix).

toddrun

You can take any vehicle that is sold and find a common issue with them. No vehicle on the market today is the perfect vehicle.

That said, me and my extended family have owned several Acadia’s, Enclave’s and Traverse’s, and NONE of them had any problems at all. I come from a family where my father taught us to regularly maintain our vehicles, and we all change our oil at 3000 miles regardless of what the dealers say you can run. I cannot think of one issue any of us have had with these models, not even the light bulb issue mentioned. I have personally owned 3 of them and have only even had to change oil, windshield wipers, and tires on them.

Like someone stated, if you are buying used, pay a certified mechanic to give the vehicle a once over, they know best.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Had a 2008 with 246000 miles it had 130000 when we got it. It had new tranny already in. Other than that few minor things while we owned it. My buddy is a gm mechanic and he also stresses oil changes between 3000-5000 miles never 10000 plus thats what causes the timing chain issues. We now have had 2 2013 first one got totaled.

404 ERROR
    MN

No one really knows what causes the timing chain issues…frequent oil changes is the only real life way to “aid” in the longevity of the chain. They break and they don’t really know why…they offered an update chain, they still broke…They modified the cam phaser that failed to fix the issue. Some engines would never break, some only made it 20k…it’s the luck of the draw…My theory is one of the multiple sprockets walk on the shaft, which will cause excess chain stress.

True that no vehicle is without it’s common issues, but the timing chain problem with GM 3.6L V6 motors is something that cannot be called a small inconvenience…It’s expensive, labor intensive, incredibly common (ask any GM mechanic) and can be catastrophic if chain pieces find their way into delicate areas.

mike e

That vehicle is at the top of my do not buy list. A quick once over will not spot a chain on the verge. A large stack of synthetic oil change receipts should be the first check along with a recent chain job if it’s over 100k. If the previous owner waited for the change oil light every time on regular oil, that could be very bad.

You’ve heard of Jasper engines and transmissions? The GM 3.6 is featured on their current notepads. That alone is not a good sign. They also had front and rear a/c evaporators spring leaks. Worst dash I’ve ever pulled. Been hearing about injector problems lately too. Also seen door harness connectors by the hinges with rotten pins. Can’t wait to pull a dash again to fix the car side of that mess..

Paul Berger

Mechanics advice to myself was get rid of the 2009 Acadia before you put more into it then it’s worth. We had a lot of problems with it over the past 9 years. The wife wanted a Honda Pilot or Toyota highlander. Very difficult decision for me. I always try to buy the American products. We’ll the pilot was built in Alabama. That helps. Happy wife, happy life! Good luck!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

We are steering clear of that line of GM products. Not worth the risk. If we had one with the timing chain issue she wouldn’t be able to afford the $2000 repair. Looking at highlander and pilots and Acura MDX. I know they have to have timing belt changed at 80-90 thousand miles so that will be on my radar.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

2014 Acadia owner here. 110k+ miles so far.

I’ve had no oil leak or timing chain issues.

The only things I’ve had done on this vehicle was a wheel bearing went bad at about 15k. Mechanic noted that bearing appeared damaged, perhaps factory defect. I also had an oil leak in the rear differential, no idea why but the vehicle has 100k powertrain so this too was fixed under warranty.

The front struts went bad at 75k, which I thought was about 10k early. Had them replaced at a local shop and mechanic there said GM had had chronic strut issues with all kinds of trucks/SUVs in my year range. But replaced them and no issues since.

I change oil every 5k, run only Mobil 1 synthetic as I have with all my cars since 1988. I change tranny fluid every 50k regardless of factory recommendation.

Problem from a buyer’s standpoint is any time I want to buy a vehicle, it comes down to 1 or 2 that really fit my needs. I was going to buy an Explorer when I bought the GMC, but Ford was also having issues with trucks/SUVs at this point. Also, only 1 SUV in 10 on the lot has the factory towing package these days, which is necessary and can’t be added later. So choice is also limited.

To anyone looking at the timing belt engines, I’d say get a real world out the door cost estimate for replacing the belt every 75 to 100k including EVERYTHING that needs to be done at that time. I got hosed on this timing belt sh!t with Mrs. Grouse’s Krautmobile! Never again. It is NOT at all uncommon to having timing belt jobs where the total bill is way over $1k.

Grouse

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.