Glow cups

• Michael Kaderabek

For those the have the newer humminbird shuttles what are you using for a glow cup mounted on it?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Start the hate mail, I have the Rapala one and it sucks! Get a black light flashlight.

duh queen

Better yet, look at a NEBO Torchy rechargeable. I was up on LOW a month ago and a friend had one. This thing is as bright as a SLR camera strobe! They’re available from a number of sellers. I paid about $27 for mine.
    https://nebo.acgbrands.com/en_US/torchy.html

SconnieFib

I love the vexilar glow cup. No bottom so I can glow larger baits as well. Two screws and it swivels in and out, and can be popped off/swapped with the other accessories (rod holder, can holder) if you’d like.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Start the hate mail, I have the Rapala one and it sucks! Get a black light flashlight.

Agree, I have the Vexilar brand one and it is less than impressive at best, it does glow them up but does not last or get them near as bright as a good flashlight.

ekruger01

I 3D print my own, some like the Ice hole power ones, and some that attach to an arm. Im sure you could make one out of PVC and add it to one of the 1/4-20 holes on the bird shuttle with an arm.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The glow rigs don’t work the best. I used to have a single flash strobe light that was the bomb. If I could find another one I would buy 3 in a second. They have not been available for years and I did have a thread trying to find another one a couple of years ago. Something similar would be nice to find.

Attachments:
    1. 20201218_152038-scaled.jpg

2. 20201218_152024-scaled.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Anyone here ever own or try a Rapala Glow Box? This thread made me think of it and it seems to be out of stock when I google search it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The glow box was worthless compared to the light I shared above. My buddy has the glow box and would always ask for my light before I dropped it down the hole. doah

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

ask for my light before I dropped it down the hole.

Guess that showed him!! grin

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

The glow rigs don’t work the best. I used to have a single flash strobe light that was the bomb. If I could find another one I would buy 3 in a second. They have not been available for years and I did have a thread trying to find another one a couple of years ago. Something similar would be nice to find.

I have the same one, purchased it at Thorne Bros, They are awesome, I think they changed the design but the brand is Loon Outdoors…
    I’ve seen the new version online….

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have the same one, purchased it at Thorne Bros, They are awesome, I think they changed the design but the brand is Loon Outdoors…
    I’ve seen the new version online….

Thank you for the information. I will have to go to Thorne Brothers and check them out.

iceager01

RW, I purchased mine at Thornes several years ago, I dont know if they still carry them but did see the new version online…

Michael Kaderabek

Is this the one?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230311_055645_Chrome.jpg

iceager01

I believe it is…

iceager01

I just googled it, this isn’t the same, this one appears to be a UV light for hardening fly tying glues/resins…
    I’m thinking they dont make them anymore or maybe you’d need to check a camera place… ?????

Jimmy Jones

I’ve used this detachable camera flash for 40 years and nothing by today’s standards creates a brighter flash to charge glow products. An old coffee cup lined with aluminum foil, shiny side showing, makes an excellent charge container regardless of light source. But if anyone has some old camera equipment around, these flash units are just teats.

Having worked with glow pigments for as long as I have had the flash unit, I have found that keeping what you want to charge warm will give a far deeper, longer lasting charge. I keep glow plastics in a short pocket to keep them warm. On a jig or even a jig, taking the time to warm whatever up well will benefit the charge you give to it.

Attachments:
    1. CF2F09CE-88DD-4450-A1FE-D8624834F27F-scaled.jpeg

Brittman

Do much of my fishing outside or during the day so I use the sun. The few times I fished after dusk this year there was fortunately no time to worry about whether my lure glowed or not applause

I always think that if I had a glow ring on my locator I would charge my lures more often after dark. So back to the original question particular to glow cups … anything worth trying ?

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

Olight just came out with a UV/Flashlight 2in1 that I am going to test out to see how well it works with charging jigs. The UV light is 365nm and the led light goes up to 1000lumen, which is decent considering it’s a UV/LED combo. I’m hoping it works really well so I don’t have to carry 2 lights

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

So back to the original question particular to glow cups … anything worth trying ?

I have been well satisfied with the “Get-Lit Glow Cup Portable 12v Ice fishing Glow Cup with Integrated power on/off switch”.
    Purchased one unit then after using it several times, bought another along with a couple additional mounting brackets. I plan to use these in my boats as well as the ice fishing season.

I have mine mounted inside my ice fishing tub, don’t know if or how well they would mount to a shuttle.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I just put an order in for a Luhr Jensen Power Flash to give a try. Hopefully it will do the job the same way my old light did.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.