gas tank building preasure

• carver
    West Metro

My gas tank is building enough pressure to pop the access cover in the floor up and a lot.

Never noticed it until late last year and this year a lot where I need to crack the gas cap.

Anyone got a place to start looking to see what the issue is with the vent.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The problem is there is no vent, you can thank the EPA for that. If there were a vent TONS of harmful gas fumes would be released into the atmosphere and create toxic rain and kill us all.

That just the joke of this new system, there is a check valve only to let air in but not out when heat causes expansion. My advice is to examine the gas cap and pick a spot to drill a tiny 1/16″ hole where water would have a hard time to get in. most of the new caps are very easy to find this spot or alter it to allow the exhaust of fumes.

Bryan Myers

I’ve seen that problem before because the tank can’t vent to the atmosphere legally. If you pull the black cap out that it keeps popping off and you cut out some of the plastic from the bottom side, but don’t cut all the way through it, that will give it enough room that when the tank swells it won’t pop the cap off.

blackbay
    mn

Before you start drilling holes or cutting plastic let us know what year boat you have. If it’s new, 2012ish or newer, the epa did change how fuel tanks are vented. There should be a vapor recovery tank and it doesn’t sound like it working as it should. If it’s older, you probably have a plugged vent line. For some reason bugs love fuel lines. Check your lines for kinks, pinch points and plugs. The plugs are typically where the thru hull fitting is.

carver
    West Metro

The year is 2013

Blackbay, I like your pic, I think I know exactly where that is at.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.