Garter Snakes

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I have a snake phobia. Yes, a 6’5″ 245 lb man is scared of 8″-24″ garter snakes.

Last weekend we moved out of the metro and bought a house on a few acres about 45 miles south of the metro area. Within the first 24 hours of living there I killed probably around 2 dozen garter snakes in the yard. My wife, who is even more terrified of snakes than me, does not know of any snakes… and hopefully she doesn’t ever know about them or else she won’t spend any time outside, when we moved out of the city so we could enjoy more outside time!

What can I do to keep them at bay? It looks like there’s no great answer other than cleaning up brush piles, log piles, etc. Keeping the grass short. There’s about a half dozen rodent holes I’ve found, probably fill those in. What about getting a farm cat? I hate cats too, but just something to live on the property and hunt the yard. One of the spots where I have seen the most of them, was also the best spot to sit up my dog kennel. So I am hopeful that having a lab in that area almost 24/7 will maybe drive them out of there? And us just being more active in the yard than the previous owners may also drive them out?

When do they hibernate for the winter? Once it hits freezing? Or will they pop back out on warm sunny days some?

We may just be out of luck too…. Around the house, there is very nice rock and boulder landscaping, although I have not found any right by the house. A few on the edge of the rock where it meets the grass. About 40 yards east of the house is a small timber area, maybe 3/4 acre big. 40 yards south of the house is a bean field. 50 yards west of the house is about a 10 acre wetland area. The other side of the road in front of the house is about 60 acre wetland area. There seems to be a fair amount of grasshoppers in the yard. You can hear the crickets at night, and earthworms all over. May just be too much cover and food in the area for them…

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Most of the box store sells some sort of snake guard that you can put up a border and the main ingredient is Cinnamon. I hate snakes with a passion as well, I bought some from Home Depot ( I think) last year and haven’t seen a snake all summer. Knock on wood. Have to apply this about every 4-6 weeks to be effective.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I liken killing all the snakes on your property to killing all the hawks. Your decision but very wrong.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL, they don’t bother me, but my wife is about as terrified of snakes as you can get. I find a bit of delight in having my 4-year old run around with them. devil

I’m not really sure what you can do about them. I know hawks, crows, foxes, skunks, raccoons, and larger snakes (just what you want!) eat them.

It might just be a problem at this time of the year. As the weather cools, you’ll see them out more trying to soak up the sun to warm themselves. They do hibernate in the winter.

brad-o
    Mankato

Chickens should keep that problem under control.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Most of the box store sells some sort of snake guard that you can put up a border

I saw that on some other sites as well. Sounds like it works okay?

I liken killing all the snakes on your property to killing all the hawks. Your decision but very wrong.

I know I know. I get it. They are harmless and do keep everything else in check. Who knows, maybe I get rid of snakes then have a mice problem or something. But… they are snakes!

Chickens should keep that problem under control.

There is a chicken coop on the property and we have discussed possibly adding some, maybe next spring. Don’t want our first experience with chickens coming right before winter.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One shot to kill them, the other 14 to make me feel better.

Get the snake guard. Tree huggers will be happy and so will your wife. )

Attachments:
    1. 1370098343_DSC04149.jpg

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Hey there,

Garter/ribbon snakes pretty much eat only insects…mainly crickets. So any damp shady areas that make crickets happy will make your snakes happy. Sounds good clearing up the brush and keeping your grass short…if you’re around lots of trees, you could try trimming some low hanging branches to encourage more breeze/sunlight to get to the ground. But, they’re pretty cool lil dudes and will help keep insect pests out of your house – maybe catch one and keep it as a pet and learn to be buddies )

Good luck, whatever route you decide to take!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

maybe catch one and keep it as a pet and learn to be buddies

Might want to check with your wife first. I know I don’t have to check with my wife on this… coffee

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Encountering so many this time of year makes me think you have a hibernation den near or on your property. If you do, you may find thousands of them one day in a giant ball.

@Beachbrian
    , my apologies in advance or the following…

There is a house off 94 on a hill that you can see just outside Maple Grove on the east side when driving to St. Cloud. Rumor is they had a massive den of garter snakes that would hibernate in their foundation.

Michelle broomed a small snake out of the lanai a few weeks ago. I’d like to have seen it, because her description makes me think it was a small cotton mouth.

So far I have only seen Black Racers and juvenile Eastern corn snakes. I hope to change that.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

rotflol rotflol

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Encountering so many this time of year makes me think you have a hibernation den near or on your property.

I certainly don’t have “many” compared to what is in your picture there… But about 2 dozen kills in the first day on the property was more than I wanted!

I know the hibernate in the same place each year… So, if there is a hibernation den, then they are all coming from wherever to that spot to hibernate at this time of the year? Then in the spring they will leave that spot and disperse to other areas to return again in the fall? How far do they travel to/from a den in the spring/fall?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I cannot say with 100% certainty that is how it happens or give you a disbursement range, but that is how I understand it. Also, I imagine it is too warm for them to be hibernating any time soon, but I would venture to guess the ones you are seeing are on the way to or near a den.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to alarm you )

From my encounters it seems like in spring and fall where you see one, you’ll see dozens more.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Way to go Mike. coffee

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I’m fine with garter snakes, wolf spiders however give me the creeps. I found these guys on the Mississippi by the Monticello nuke plant.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Snakes and spiders both serve a purpose. You’d never convince my wife of that however. Now rat’s those nasty’s are another story. Luckily corn snakes eat rats.

robby
    Quad Cities

Twice I’ve watched snakes come out of their hibernation dens. Looks much like the pic Plug posted. Neat but creepy. The second time I observed this was the day a snake crawled in my waders with me. I was in a float tube (belly boat). I believe I set a float tube speed record, and caused great erosion to the banks of the Hennepin Canal from the wake I threw. Lol. Long time ago, I can laugh at it now. BTW, You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to clean out waders after losing your bowels!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Brian, I wonder if that’s the same house?

Mr Derek, I believe those are fishing spiders and they scare the crap out if me.

I’ve never seen a wild rat until I moved down here. They’d race on the fences cross support at sunset. Gross, but havent seen one in a while. Thanks corn/racers snakes.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I never did trust a critter with no arms and legs.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

I’m sure glad your snake isn’t showing in that picture.

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

Just make sure you do something before they find a way into your house, which they will, it is near impossible to get them out once they move in.

WS

jerry b
    western WI

That reminds me of when the Oahe Dam was being built. They moved millions of yards of dirt by machine scoops and truck. Every once in a while the digger would pick up a ball of rattle snakes and dump them in the truck. Back then, the trucks had only seat, steering wheel and hood. No cabs, the only protection for the operator was the front lip of the dump box. Rattle snakes would hit and spill over the front lip, driver made a hasty exit and the truck more times than not would free roll into the river. There were no such things as power brakes and steering- – -jerr

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.