Garmin Update

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I just bought a new Garmin 93SV UHD and there is a tag in there that says I should run an update before I use it. It is going on the boat so wondering first how do I do the update. Not really tech savvy if you couldn’t tell.

Second do I need to worry about doing it sooner than later since I have no use for it until spring.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s a really easy update to do – just google the instructions.

You are probably fine to wait.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks Matt I will google it should have done that first I guess.

dirtywater

See p. 3-4 of the owner’s manual in your box, under the heading “Active Captain App” and then “Updating Software with the Active Captain app.”

The first time doing this it will take a little time, you have to get the active captain app on your phone, designate a memory card as your active captain card, create a wifi network on your plotter, etc. But once you get the initial setup stuff done it’s a breeze.

mojogunter

When I do the updates on my Garmin I just use an SD card on my computer, rather than use active captain. That process is much faster. Sometimes the updates are huge and take quite a while even using an SD card. I can’t imagine how long a 7GB upgrade would take via active captain.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks to all, I just watched one of the videos. While being less than tech savvy I think I can manage it. Mojo in the video he just did it the way you describe, there is another video I did not watch with the active captain that you mentioned Dirty.

dirtywater

When I do the updates on my Garmin I just use an SD card on my computer, rather than use active captain. That process is much faster. Sometimes the updates are huge and take quite a while even using an SD card. I can’t imagine how long a 7GB upgrade would take via active captain.

Good point. I have only had this thing a month, haven’t run into a big update yet. I still prefer the convenience of sitting on my couch with my phone and doing it all wirelessly, but I may change my mind after running into a larger update.

You’re still gonna want the active captain eventually. All your maps are right there on your phone then as well. Mark spots or create routes from the couch, then sync wirelessly from your phone to plotter on the boat. Nifty.

popcorn

This is a little off topic but is there a way to upload your quick draw maps to active captain? Other than sharing to the community and uploading the community map?

JoeMX1825
    MN

always a good idea to wait 1-2 weeks after a new update comes out to see if anything new breaks with it…let somebody else be the tester and find out it breaks a key feature and then you’re left downgrading (never fool proof) or waiting for a new fix to be released.

mojogunter

depending on the unit I believe when the unit boots up it will show the software version. Go to the garmin site to see what the latest version is, or if you link to active captain it will tell you if there is an update available.

How do I know if I need an update?

I bought one late December. I also bought the summit pole with the perspective adapter and the guy at the store told me I need to do the update to get perspective mode but I already have it on the unit with no update. Am I good?

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Just a tip if you go the SD card route, you can only use a certain size of SD, 16gb or less(I think, should say in the owners manaul), if its larger it will not work.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Just a tip if you go the SD card route, you can only use a certain size of SD, 16gb or less(I think, should say in the owners manaul), if its larger it will not work.

32GB is the max you can use, that’s what I use…

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brandon Meyers wrote:</div>

32GB is the max you can use, that’s what I use…

You are correct, I was thinking it was smaller because I had to actually pay more for a smaller card, crazy to think 32 is small now.

robby
    Quad Cities

I am a computer dummy and was able to do this for my 93 SV. Youtube is your friend as well as google. Good luck. Just saying I was successful. Call Garmin Tech Support if you have issues. I have found them to be stellar. Just be blunt with them and tell then you are not tech savvy. I believe they are used to it. You will be fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.