Garmin panoptix ice package

• evobassfish

Was browsing cabelas ice fishing section to see whats new and looks like we got a new contender for 2017-2018 ice season. I’ve seen a few videos of what panotpix can do for locating fish for open water and now they finally geared it to the ice fishing guys. Im excited!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Definitely will be an interesting option. I was watching videos from the Garmin guys last season with how they were using it and it was pretty cool.

Did you see this online, or in their mailer? Link if online?

Randy Winn

I just ordered the mount and I don’t even have the Panoptix transducer yet lol. I do have an echomap93sv and 73sv though and I’ve been wanting to rig something up for the panoptix for ice fishing. Looks like I don’t have to worry about that anymore, just have to go get the transducer now……like I wasn’t already going to spend too much on ice fishing stuff

Danny Thompson
    Minnesota

Guys we will have it at the St Paul, Milwaukee, Duluth Ice Shows as well as Scheels, and Cabela’s Ice Events come check it out. It is really cool plus the new ice transducer Garmin has in the kit along with the Panoptix is unreal. 500W Chrip ice ducer!!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Sounds cool, but I’ll have to wait 5-10yrs for the price to come down. I guess that gives the fish extra time to reproduce and grow.

evobassfish

Anyone know what the target separation is on garmin units?

Justin Gamerdinger

I just bought the ice pack with the gt10 500W transducer for my echomap chirp 73sv and the ducer does not work. It says its not supported so I don’t know how people are using that because my 2 friends and I all updated our software and got the same packs and the GT10 ducer does not work and noticed that they aren’t available to purchase online anymore. Any insight on this Danny??

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Sounds cool, but I’ll have to wait 5-10yrs for the price to come down. I guess that gives the fish extra time to reproduce and grow.

5-10 years is enough time for me to catch and eat all of those fish you plan to catch. Mwuhahahaha.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Touche, sir! mrgreen

Robert Duncan

It appears the new Panoptix Ice bundle comes with a Echomap 73CV not the 73SV. Also they just introduced the Echomap Plus family. Not sure what the diff is between the Echomap and Echomap Plus other than WIFI. It would be nice if I could get the Panoptix Ice Bundle with the Echomap Plus and the 73SV. I would like to use the Garmin year around.

norge

What does it take to make the panoptix ice package useful on the boat for open water?

Robert Duncan

Youtube has a video you might be interested in. It was made 10/20 and he has the new ice bundle.

norge

Thanks for the link. An informative video.

Randy Winn

I just bought the ice pack with the gt10 500W transducer for my echomap chirp 73sv and the ducer does not work. It says its not supported so I don’t know how people are using that because my 2 friends and I all updated our software and got the same packs and the GT10 ducer does not work and noticed that they aren’t available to purchase online anymore. Any insight on this Danny??

Did you ever find an answer on this? I have the same unit and was thinking about getting the same transducer but I don’t want to waste the money if it’s not going to work. They still have the GT10HW-IF on their website and that’s what comes in the Panoptix Ice Bundle but the Ice Bundle doesn’t use the SV units

papaperch

Cannot help on the 10 hw but the 8hw ice ducer does work. Set up a GPSMAP 721 xs Garmin last year for ice fishing. Used the 8hw and a PS 21 panoptix on set up.In just a few words I was impressed. Due to such a short season last year here in Ohio. I was only able to use on ice twice. Both times it greatly shortened the search time in locating fish. Once on a private pond and once on a public lake.

The pond search yielded some great gill fishing. The lake search put us on a huge school of perch. Unfortunately they were for the most part small. Managed a few decent ones but overall wished I had picked different spot on that lake.

On the pond partner only had to drill two holes. Found fish in 12 foot of water about 30 feet away from first hole I drilled. As I was watching I seen his auger come through the ice on my unit. I could tell he overshot them. His next hole was right on top of them.

Only danger in using this. Your flasher is exposed as to having its limitations.

Set up on five gallon bucket for easy viewing. I changed to a ECHOMAP 92 SV chirp model this year for the nine inch screen. If some one is interested in setup can post pic.

Robert Duncan

I would like to see your setup if you have pictures.

Randy Winn

How is the target separation with Panoptix? The way I see it the videos that they are posting on youtube, etc. are probably the best footage they have with it and to me it still looks pretty rough. The fish look like big blobs and it looks like it would be pretty hard to tell a fish from the bottom when they are hanging close to the bottom. It looks like it would work good for targeting suspended fish but what about perch, walleye, etc. that like to hang out on the bottom?

That’s the one thing that’s keeping me from dropping $1,000 on a transducer right now.

papaperch

Here is the pic. Used that metal with all the holes in it. Available at most hard ware stores. To mount on inside of bucket . Then used aluminum angle as a mount bar for the unit itself. Mounted a power outlet for the panoptix as this transducer has a power connection plus the ethernet connection. Used dremel tool to cut an access door for battery. Used the piece of bucket I cut for the door.

If we get a normal ice season here in Ohio. I will post some actual ” combat videos” of setup in action

Robert Duncan

Here is the pic. Used that metal with all the holes in it. Available at most hard ware stores. To mount on inside of bucket . Then used aluminum angle as a mount bar for the unit itself. Mounted a power outlet for the panoptix as this transducer has a power connection plus the ethernet connection. Used dremel tool to cut an access door for battery. Used the piece of bucket I cut for the door.

If we get a normal ice season here in Ohio. I will post some actual ” combat videos” of setup in action

Thanks for the picture! That gives me some ideas.

todd1227

Yes, there is new software available. The EchoMap CHIRP 7” & 9” SW (V4.20) that enables support for the new GT10 ice xducer is available on the Garmin website:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4749

and Yes, the 7” and 9” CV & SV units will work with the GT10 ice xducer with 4.20 SW. Please note that the GT10 has a blue 8-pin connector. So to use the GT10 with the SV (12-pin) models, you’ll need the 12pin to 8pin adapter. It’s here…

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/511579

BTW – Garmin has a new 12pin to 4pin adapter cable for GT8 ice xducer users as well. It’s here…

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/607450#devices

The new GT10HN-IF ice transducer is a true CHIRP 500W transducer with an operating range of 130 to 300kHz. The beamwidth is selectable from 7° to 16°.
    The GT8HW-IF ice transducer is a true CHIRP 250W transducer with an operating range of 150 to 240kHz. The beamwidth is selectable from 16° to 24°.
    Make sure to check out the cool new Garmin-exclusive beamwidth slider control. You can now adjust the beamwidth in 1° steps across the transducer range. This new feature is included in the EchoMap CHIRP, EchoMap plus and Striker models when used with a Garmin GT-series CHIRP transducer. You can see the affect real-time what changing the beamwidth has on your returns. See the attached pics with the GT10HN connected up to an EchoMap CHIRP 73CV, along with a pair of 1/16” tube jigs in nearly 60’. The beamwidth was adjusted from 16° to 8° along this screenshot.

Attachments:
    1. 73cv-ice-fishing-slider.jpg

2. ice-fishing-tube-jigs.jpg

hunter1230

Todd or anyone else!

So I have an Echomap chirp 55cv that I plan to use for ice fishing… I live in Saskatchewan,Canada, and primarily fish walleye and perch through the ice- rarely fish deeper than 35 feet. Just wondering if anyone could steer me in a direction for an ice transducer. Not sure if I need the GT8 or the GT10? I know they both will work but just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? My understanding is the GT8 with a wider cone would be better for me? A couple times a year I fish lake trout in water up to 100ft. Anyone got any suggestions or experience with these transducers?
    Thanks in advance

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

So what I did was got the 73sv then the ps-22 panoptix transducer. Then purchased pvc and hardware to mount the transducer to. I rigged it on the side of my boat to try it out and it worked awesome. What they don’t show you in the video is the down view which is absolutely amazing. I can say that now after owning and experimenting with it some.
    So it is a directional transducer which shows left and right sides, depth, and distance away in real time. What makes this great is you can literally see in real time what side of transducer fish is located and what direction it is swimming while seeing presentation and how far away it is. If you see this thing in action, you will be in awe. You won’t bother with a ice transducer so I’m my opinion it Is not needed because you will not use it after seeing what the downview does.
    I’ve noticed a lot of people are discouraged by the cost of panoptix setup. Look at it this way. If you own a garmin depthfinder that is panoptix ready you are looking at $1000 for this add on. That is a lot of money for just a “transducer”. Yeah but you are gonna spend 5-800 for a decent marcum,vex,ice 55 etc. and you won’t use in the summer. Then you have your summer setup. Another 500-1000 or more depending on what you run. I have the garmin ecomap 73sv with ps-22 panoptix ducer which does down view and foreword view. This unit has side and down imaging, built in mapping and gps, chirp and built map options all in 1 unit. And I can use it year round and it is superior to anything I’ve ever seen to date in my opinion.

Randy Winn

Just in case anyone was wondering the 9″ units will fit in the ice package case also and it will still zip closed easily. I took the 93sv off my kayak and put it in the Ice Package. I don’t know why they don’t offer it as an option.

hunter1230

Randy, when you bought the ice package did you get the gt10 transducer with it? Or did you find a place to buy the ice bag alone without a transducer? I think as it stands now I want the ice bag with the gt8 transducer… I dont see that as an option anywhere.

Robert Duncan

Dicks has the Garmin Panoptix Ice Fishing Bundle for 25% off today only.

carver
    West Metro

Thanks for the heads up. After tax it’s a savings of $350. Someone out state where there isn’t a Dicks, that even a better killer deal at $450 off. I was going to wait until the Mpls sports show to get some end of the year discounts but cant beat this.

fisherman-andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Robert Duncan wrote:</div>

Thanks for the heads up. After tax it’s a savings of $350. Someone out state where there isn’t a Dicks, that even a better killer deal at $450 off. I was going to wait until the Mpls sports show to get some end of the year discounts but cant beat this.

GARMIN is supposed to be excluded from Dick Sporting Goods promo 25% cyber Monday sale or any sale they have. But they have not noticed or prevented the promo from applying. This is an out of the world deal and if your looking to invest in a panoptix there should be no reason to wait. Jump on this deal before Dicks notices it’s not being excluded and removes it from eligibility.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.