Garmin mapping rocks!!

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

So I just started using the mapping software that the Garmin units have looking at my way points and now an updated version of the mapping on the Mississippi River I’m starting to put together why I’ve been catching the fish where I’ve been catching them !!!

Attachments:
    1. 20170328_172009.jpg

mojogunter

If you use the mapping does it just cover over the existing maps on the unit to the more detailed new map?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

This is my first crack at it and what I’ve seen is yes it does overlay new mapping where the old contours were.

I wanted to do new mapping over a wing dam. In existing map there was a straight line marking the wing dam from the shoreline. What I did was put waypoints on that straight line and then went over the wing dam north and south and then east and west to get a good picture of where that wing dam really was.

I think it works pretty good…

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Which unit do you have, Dave? I bought the Echomap Chirp 73SV but haven’t used it yet, cuz new boat’s not in. Without rehashing all the good info on “Shame On Garmin” thread in General Discussion, I’m inclined at this stage to not install the software update for fear of altering the Down Vu performance, but am wondering if the software upgrade has anything to do with the mapping features. Any thoughts on that?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Z-Man,
    I have the 7610. I did a software update the day I got it but that was last year… If there has been another update I have not updated my unit.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I read thru the link, and being a bit skeptical at this point, I think I will wait before updating the software, just in case their statement that the update does not disable the down vu portion isn’t 110 percent accurate. thanks guys.

mojogunter

I have an 7608 that I got last year, and a new 7610 and the down imaging looks the same on both units, so I think you will be fine. I haven’t updated the 7608 and the 7610 has version 9.0 I believe

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Every Garmin map thread should have someone mentioning go into your map options and put into “high detail”. Anxious to see how the high detail looks on Leech come opener. Wasn’t all that thrilled on the normal detailing that I saw in the fall.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you use the mapping does it just cover over the existing maps on the unit to the more detailed new map?

It overlays the new mapping data over the existing map. You can turn the new map data on and off as you see fit so you can return to the original map if you want.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I read thru the link, and being a bit skeptical at this point, I think I will wait before updating the software, just in case their statement that the update does not disable the down vu portion isn’t 110 percent accurate. thanks guys.

Talk like that can get a guy banned…
    Garmin & skeptical… Yup.
    Don’t be a sponsor hater.

chased

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Just to clarify, from everything I read about the Garmins in general,and from playing around with them at the retailers, even with all this rigmarole about the transducer swaps, lawsuit, etc., etc., I’m still a fan and haven’t even used it yet on the water. Got three buddies to take a look at them, and two of them bought a Garmin after their own evaluations. “Skeptical” is closer to “careful” and was not intended to be bashing.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am dying to get out and try my new Garmin mapping!! I got a couple “secret spots” I know are not accurate and I want to map the crud out of them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.