Garmin GT54 transducers weak?

• HMoshier

Wondering if anyone else has seen these transducers go “bad” for no reason. Lost the right side of another one (now three) this weekend.

Saturday worked fine. Sunday, right side was grainy and, while it painted the bottom, there was no details.

It’s not the head unit as I swapped cables and the problem moved. The transducer is on my TM but I use a guard. Been pretty careful with this one after losing two others. One lost the right side and the other crapped out completely.

Just curious if I’m too hard on them. When they work, they are better than my mega birds.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Never had that happen strange. Could it be mounted too close to your prop and hitting? Maybe you need to trim the motor up out of the way if its in the way of the transducer?

HMoshier

The TM shield I have on it keeps it away from the prop. And protects it for the most part from head on impacts. I’m wondering if the cable being pulled to the side is causing water intrusion. But there are not a lot of options when mounting on a TM.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Must have missed the part about it being on your TM. Do you leave it running when the TM is up? Maybe its burning out?

HMoshier

After I lost the first one, I thought about that and started disabling the sonar when the TM was out of the water. That has never been an issue with the HB transducers on the transom when running on plane, though. This has got me scratching my head.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.