Garbage Disposals

• Francis K
    Champlin, MN

So, after 20 years in our home the Better Half and I are in the process of a big update which includes a new kitchen, wood floors, new windows and all new mill work.

We have never had a garbage disposal in this home and intend to add one to the new sink being installed today. With that said; are all disposals equal or are some better than others? I don’t want to make a mistake by buying the wrong one that will need replacement a few years down the road.

Thanks.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Get a commercial version! Better to be safe than sorry. We had one installed when we had our fish cleaning house.

Maybe check with Mike W. for his thoughts.

FDR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I keep a badger 5 on the truck. Most common disposal on the market. Prices tend to jump way up when you up grade from that. Only better disposal is the dog.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you need a good millwork supplier try ProBuild Twin Cities (the old Bernco). Good selection competitive pricing. Cabinets also. They do their own pre-finishing.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

Badger 5, 1/2 hp. is a good disposal. Stick with anything made by Insinkerator. The mounting flange is 10x’s better than the other brands out there(Waste King). Some other tips to help your disposal last longer: while disposal is running, use COLD water, feed food waste in small batches and let the water run for a while after shutting off disposal to flush all waste out.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

First of all I will have to say that my comment will carry little weight here on this forum cause I’is an Iowegien. (aka I’m from Iowa). I believe that the ISE is of the best disposals built on the market. But the Badger is the “Builder” model “the starter / price point model”. From past history on the Badger it is a galvanized pot metal construction (in short term it is a pos unless it has changed). I would advance to an up graded stainless steel and a very much quieter ¾ hp or higher with a continuous feed.

For my background, I’m raised as a plumber’s son. I was running copper pipe when I was 14. I’m in the mid to upper end of the remodeling field and supervise restaurant commercial construction. I’ve got 40+ years in construction as an adult.

My thought is InSinkErator Evolution Excel
    http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdepot/ProductDetail.asp?Product=158687&AffiliateID=BingDirectFeed&
    Or a like. Yes it is 1/3 more money but you will not have to deal with it in the long haul and be happier in the long run,

This is my honest opnion. I’m very happy with my ISE Evolution Excel.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

Denny, you are right. The Badger IS the builders model but is still a good disposal for the price. The Evolution is hands down a better model and is also the one I have hanging under my sink. I’ve been a licensed plumber since 1991 and there is no question that ISE makes the best disposals.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would agree the badger 5 is not a lifetime garbage disposal. 10 years will be a good run on it. You can buy three 5s for the cost of a evolution. Then again some folks are heavy cooks and use the heck out of them and that evolution is a good fit for them. Im on the other end and never had a garbage disposal and not sure if we ever will. Dog and the trash can works well enough for us.

One thing that will shorten the life of the badger 5 and a lot of other disposals is dropping something hard in them and letting it spin. 1700 rpms hits what ever it is and throws it into the side of the disposal cracking the sides. Seen one last summer with one of those little spikes you use for holding sweet corn while eating in it. The prongs where sticking out the side of the disposal. Shot right threw the side.

watson58

So I learned something new. It might be useless to have my wonderful new Badger 5 disposal since apparently there are lots of things you can’t throw in it. Like coffee ground. Am I correct to assume that it’s the sewer system and not the disposal.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Garbage disposals are not good for drain fields and mound systems. Your septic is not designed to break down food and it passes through to the drain field and can plug it up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.