Garage opinions

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Over the 4th we decided we need another garage, we are just running out of room. The plan is 2 lanes of storage. Last year I removed 2 doors from the garage at my house and put in 1 18′ door, it is nice not having the center post for backing the trailer in, love that decision. Our pole barn we have 2 12′ wide doors, works well there as it is wide enough to park things in the center yet also. The new garage will be 30-32 wide and I am leaning towards the 18′ door, one lane for the boat and the other for the truck. Is there an advantage to 2 12′ doors for this?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Only if you are heating it.

iowa_josh

Narrower doors last longer. Smaller doors with space between gives you the nicest parking. You need room to open doors.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The two doors will allow you more room between the truck and boat. Today’s manufactured headers will not sag over time if the load is calculated correctly.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Shorter headers don’t sag.

Depending on door placement header won’t be a problem if parallel to truss.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Garage still won’t be big enough!!! devil devil jester

Ice Cap

Getting estimates for my 30X40 pole building construction next week. I plan on going with the sliding barn door set up. One door slides to the right the other to left. Should gives us an unobstructed opening of 22 to 24 feet.

My son has this set up on his building and he really likes it. No matter how big you go eventually you will have regrets you didn’t go bigger.

Jason

I have a two overhead doors on my pole shed. 20’x14′ in the front and a 10′ x 12′ in the back corner. Whatever you do try to stay with a 10′ minimum width to make the access easier. I wouldn’t worry about the header size since your end gable will help support it along with the micro lam headers.
    If your going to heat it I would stay away from ALL sliding doors. I had a 30×40 with a 22′ split slider at the old place. Snow and ice was a pain in the a..

onestout
    Hudson, WI

No sliders, I keep my sheds sealed up to keep the mice out. Not really understanding the room between things idea with 2 doors, I was planning to leave the room I need when I park stuff. I have no real need to heat this shed but will probably put it in just in case, the current shed has heat and AC so that is where I work on stuff. All good thoughts confirming what I was thinking as well.

B-man

I have a single 20′ wide door on my garage, and wouldn’t go any narrower with a single. An 18′ would be squeezing it with a big boat and full size truck side by side.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have a single 20′ wide door on my garage, and wouldn’t go any narrower with a single. An 18′ would be squeezing it with a big boat and full size truck side by side.

the garage itself will be 30-32 wide so there is plenty of room to leave space if needed.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

the garage itself will be 30-32 wide so there is plenty of room to leave space if needed.

I understand the garage will be wider than the door, but what I’m saying is 18′ would be really tight with an 8’6″ wide trailer, and a pickup with tow mirrors going alongside it. (17′ of room eaten up) it would leave you just a foot between the two, and a foot from the door opening on each side (unless you plan on angling both in (extra work)

Never once have I wished I would have saved a few hundred bucks and went with a smaller door.

If you have a Prius and a kayak trailer a 16-18′ door would work fine.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200707-145832.png

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

I understand the garage will be wider than the door, but what I’m saying is 18′ would be really tight with an 8’6″ wide trailer, and a pickup with tow mirrors going alongside it. (17′ of room eaten up) it would leave you just a foot between the two, and a foot from the door opening on each side (unless you plan on angling both in (extra work)

Never once have I wished I would have saved a few hundred bucks and went with a smaller door.

If you have a Prius and a kayak trailer a 16-18′ door would work fine.

With a wider garage you should be able to back in at an angle so you are only tight closer to the door, at least that is what I currently do.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

My only regret when I did my Shop was not using trusses that left the center open for storage, man that is a lot of wasted space I could of made use of.

Johnboy
    Illinois

Two 12 foot doors = 24 feet. 32 foot wide building will not allow much room in between or beside the the doors. Header height is also a critical dimension to consider.

jwellsy

I’d like to have doors on opposing walls to be able to park and drive through two towed rigs side by side.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.