Garage floor question

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

So got this crack in my garage floor. I added the garage about 1982-83? Somewhere about then. I have no plans to redo the floor. This crack has slowly happened over time

My question, am I better off leaving it alone or can i add paver sand in that crack.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20221102_164430488-1-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20221102_164430488-scaled.jpg

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I gotta do the same Glenn. Thanks for the info Eelpoutguy, keeping water out of it during the winter is huge.

Coletrain27

Just did the same thing in my garage a couple weeks ago. I used some stuff from menards in the building materials section. It came in 20# bag I believe. It’s what the guys there told me to use ???

glenn57
    cold spring mn

not sure why by quoting EPG it wont post. what is it you mean by displacement??

i guess i have issues then….its both more that 1/4 inch wide and deep.

but can i temporariy put a bandaide on it. thinking of a new driveway in the future anyway????

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

At the crackline, is one side higher then the other or are they still in plane?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Make sure you follow the guidelines for prep work so it adheres properly

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yes in front of the service door.but most of it is still level.

munchy
    NULL

Vacuum and wire brush it out, remove anything loose, stuff some backer rod into areas that seem bottomless and dam up areas that you don’t want sealant to flow. Pour Sikaflex or another self leveling concrete sealant into crack, let cure.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221102_193006.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Vacuum and wire brush it out, remove anything loose, stuff some backer rod into areas that seem bottomless and dam up areas that you don’t want sealant to flow. Pour Sikaflex or another self leveling concrete sealant into crack, let cure.

What kind of temperature does that need to cure at? It gets chilly up here at night.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would use what munchy put on there. What I actually use is the caulk that they use when setting precast buildings. But that’s not available at the harnd wear store

The stuff epg put out is great as well

buck-slayer

Check what products Cemstone has.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ll wait till next spring but sheez that stuff EPG suggested ain’t cheap.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s because it’s quality

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

That’s because it’s quality

waytogo waytogo

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

There’s no bad time to fill cracked concrete. It doesn’t expand and contract like asphalt does, and that’s why asphalt is usually filled in the spring when the crack is the widest. But any crack is a bad crack because moisture will get in there and when it freezes it’s going to push that further apart. As long as your product will cure, do it. If you don’t do it now it will be just as cold in the spring when the rain starts, and it’s incredible how fast it can really hollow out underneath. This is on the outside of the service door right?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

There’s no bad time to fill cracked concrete. It doesn’t expand and contract like asphalt does, and that’s why asphalt is usually filled in the spring when the crack is the widest. But any crack is a bad crack because moisture will get in there and when it freezes it’s going to push that further apart. As long as your product will cure, do it. If you don’t do it now it will be just as cold in the spring when the rain starts, and it’s incredible how fast it can really hollow out underneath. This is on the outside of the service door right?

no on the inside of the garage. It’s just worse by the service door.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.