Garage Door Repair Needed

• zooks

My garage door has recently started binding when opening/closing and I’m hoping someone has a recommendation for a repair company for the west metro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Michelau

I’m not a garage door repairman, but I get to work on plenty of them.
    If it is a chain driven opener I have found that the chain can become
    loose over time, simple fix if it is hanging lower than the glide bar,
    either have to take a screwdriver and on the main head there should be a screw to put some tension on the drive chain, it should not hang lower than an inch below the glide. If no screw to turn then may have to take two wrenches and tighten chain by the catch and release mechanisum. Mike

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Maybe oil the chain too.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve used Great Garage Door a couple of times in the past.

zooks

I’ve already adjusted the chain – was a little loose, not bad – and have tightened everything up but it’s still occurring, thus the request for a recommendation. I assume everything has been thrown out of balance from the play that was it in and I’m deeming this beyond my abilities.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Disconnect the opener from the door and manually raise and lower the door. If it feels loose then it’s in the opener. If it feels tight or drags when raised or lowered, watch to see if you can find where it binds. Adjust the rail or rails out in the area where it binds. Fixed!!

Should ask…..torsion or coil springs??

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There is typically a sticker on the door from the original installer. If not Great garage is good, IDC, I just used Ole and Lena’s and they did a good job.
    fyi – not worth messin with it yourself, get a pro.

Kevin Sab

When I had a similar problem, I just got in touch with a locksmith from emergencylocksmithvancouver.ca. Need to spend your time if this problem is solved in 15 minutes and $15, as locksmith told me? Now I think not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My uncle owns and operates
    A Dynamic garage doors, east bethel mn. Very good people. It’s my cousin and uncle. They do everything garage door related. When they come you’d think they are family.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

When they come you’d think they are family.

Why’s that? Is it because once there, they will never leave? tongue

B-man

Disconnect the opener from the door and manually raise and lower the door. If it feels loose then it’s in the opener. If it feels tight or drags when raised or lowered, watch to see if you can find where it binds. Adjust the rail or rails out in the area where it binds. Fixed!!

Should ask…..torsion or coil springs??

^^^^This

Garage doors aren’t rocket surgery…..BUT only let a pro touch the springs.

They’re dangerous and should only be messed with by a professional.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Garage doors aren’t rocket surgery…..BUT only let a pro touch the springs.

They’re dangerous and should only be messed with by a professional.
    [/quote]

This is very true. Tensioned springs can be deadly. But the op I assume knows that. I worked with the uncle and cousin growing up for side cash. Only the experts play with the spring.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    When they come you’d think they are family.

Why’s that? Is it because once there, they will never leave? tongue

They are really good people and can talk with the best of them. Very smart guys who end up knowing pretty much every and anything some how. Also big sportsman and have love for motorcycles.

Deleted

I’m no rocket surgeon, I always call “the guy” when I have garage door problems.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.