Game Farm Tune-Up

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Due to hectic summer with a new job, I slacked a bit on Ripley’s training this summer. The FW and I headed to Sand Pines Pheasants yesterday, and I was really hoping that he didn’t lose much.

It was really a pretty nice day with temps around 50, cloudy skies, and just enough of a breeze. Ripley spotted a hen strolling down a trail shortly after we’d gotten there–he took off after it, which didn’t surprise me much, but from there, he settled in and performed really well for the rest of the day. He was much steadier on point than he was last year, he did well retrieving, and he even tracked a wounded rooster for about 15 minutes. I was about ready to give up on it, and Ripley locked up on point–sure enough, he’d found it.

All in all, it was a fun afternoon, and I’m really happy with how the pup is performing.

Pic 1: On point with the FW moving in on the bird
    Pic 2: On point
    Pic 3: A retrieve

Attachments:
    1. 20181002_134310.jpg

2. 20181002_134820.jpg

3. 20181002_1429490.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I need to do that soon. Not sure how much Grouse hunting will transfer over to pheasant but at 7 years old I dont expect an issue. She knows the game and now with hunting almost every weekend until Pheasant season (Iowa Oct 27) she will be in good shape.
    Looks like you have a solid hunter. Now you need to dedicate a lot of fall weekends to enjoy it over the next several years! I highly recommend out of state trips where the pheasant numbers and hunting land are bigger than Mn.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I highly recommend out of state trips where the pheasant numbers and hunting land are bigger that Mn.

Yeah, that can be hard with a young family, but it’s definitely on the radar.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Great photos, Ryan! We had the boys out grouse hunting over the weekend and while we didn’t get any grouse, they did great. We were particularly keeping an eye on Fritz since he tore is ACL earlier this spring. He’s doing amazing and I couldn’t be happier that he’s out there with us, running alongside Remi. mrgreen

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Great photos, Ryan!

Thanks! I had an amazing photo of him on point facing me, but somehow, the photo disappeared from my phone. Fricking annoying!

Glad to hear Fritz is doing well with his bionic knee!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.