Funny Planner Board Question

• gregl2017

Hi All,

I often have people in my boat that are not serious anglers but do love to fish. Often times I have to kind of be the guide on how to fish certain techniques like jigging, bottom bouncers or trolling boards etc.. Then they out fish me HAHAHA!

When we are on a trolling bite, they always want to hold the rods. I guess I’m wondering if anybody thinks this is a bad idea when using planner boards. I always tell them they have to hold in the same position as the rod holder or our lines will get tangled.

You think I should be stubborn and say nope it’s gotta sit in the holder or not sweat it?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just move to Minnesota with the one line / one angler law. That will take care of your concern.

Musky Ed

While you want them to have a good time, and enjoy their fishing experience, you should also want them to learn the correct techniques for how you are fishing. Who knows, some of your friends may end up buying a boat of their own some day, because of their time on the water with you. If they charter a trip with a guide, and have little experience at fishing, they for sure wouldn’t be telling a guide what to do. With planer boards, I would just tell them the rods need to be in the holders, and that’s the way it’s going to be. If they are too sensitive too accept that, then don’t invite them along next time.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Hold a planner board rod??? Let them and start a cash pool on how quick they will get worn out. Some people need to learn at the University of Hard Knocks

gregl2017

I know, you’d think they’d get tired but they will hold that rod for as long as we troll HAHA!

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Hold a planner board rod??? Let them and start a cash pool on how quick they will get worn out. Some people need to learn at the University of Hard Knocks

X2

hah hah hah hah

David Blais

Get 12′ rods and let them hold them on the inside of your spread

gregl2017

It’s funny, they guys I have in the boat will put them in the holders, but the women always want to hold them.. We must be weaker HAHA!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Just have them hold a long line. You can still catch fish without a planer board.

saddletramp

Maybe it’s the type of women you “hang” with?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I know, you’d think they’d get tired but they will hold that rod for as long as we troll HAHA!

Gotta nip it. Next they’ll want to hold the downrigger rods. crazy

gregl2017

You got it, best wife & sister-in-law a guy can ask for! They are troopers!! Doesn’t matter the weather, they want to fish in the rain, sleet, rough water they don’t care )

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I get it about proper technique but I’m sympathetic that they want to hold the rod.

This is part of why I don’t like deep sea fishing. We just drove around until someone said reel it in. I never felt the lure, never felt the fish hit(big thing), and more importantly I never felt like I was involved in the process. I was a passenger not a fisherman, wonder if that’s why they want to hold the rods?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Usually when I tell my passengers that they can hold 2 beers instead of one, they put it in the rod holder.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pat, exactly the way I felt about the charter Salmon fishing in Michigan. The most boring trip ever. I want to at least feel the fish and fight the thing. Cranking it in against the force of the motor is just stupid IMO.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Usually when I tell my passengers that they can hold 2 beers instead of one, they put it in the rod holder.

+1

My buddies bring the beer and food when trolling, and I get lines set…drive the boat, and net fish.

If you want a mess, let a person hold a lead core rod when you’re running a tight spread of 4 lines who doesn’t know what they’re doing and doesn’t pay attention.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.