Fulton sway-away install

• Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Decided to lengthen my tongue on my boat trailer and going to use the Fulton brand sway-away coupler (bolt on). Anyone install these before and what do you think? Install was fine but I’m a little surprised of the sloppiness in the coupler. I can lift the tongue up and down some. Almost like the pin and bolt are to small. I’ve tighten to recommended torque the directions gave me. Any thoughts??

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I installed one on mine (3″ x 4″ version) and like you, was surprised at the slop. I replaced the OEM 5/8″ bolt with a M16 metric version, which is about .005″ larger in diameter, I also bought some precision shims, and inserted them between the faces, which really helped a lot.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 000_0887.jpg

2. 625-ID-shims.jpg

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I put one on 2 years ago an also noticed a little slop. Probably wouldn’t swing too good otherwise. Anyway- my boat is pretty heavy (over 3000) and have had zero issues/concerns. Under load it’s been rock solid and the hardware and everything still looks great.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Going on three years with mine. When not locked in, I do have a little up and down slop where it pivots. But when locked in ready to go, I haven’t noticed any slop.

Maybe check out a few review videos on Youtube, there are tons out there. Maybe someone mentions the same issue.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.