Need help

• dubiceman
    Dubuque, IA

A buddy and I are planning a fishing trip for the week of August 13-20. We are starting to look around for lakes now and someone mentioned the waubay area as a good walleye lake. We are hoping to get some info on which lake would be the best to make the trip worth while. Also would appreciate any info you have on lodging in the surrounding area. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

maddog
    Park Rapids Mn.

Just got back from Lac SUEL lake in Canada. The whole trip cost each person 530.00 that was for gas,food,and cabin for a week. The biggest eye was 29 3/4 It was hard to get small ones to bring back. Look up Lac suel lodge on the net. It was well worth the money to have 4 people have eyes on the same time.

ittvss

From your post, looks like you are coming from eastern Iowa. I would have a hard time passing up Mille Lacs in MN, check out those reports on this site!. I have been to the Waubay area many times and the fishing is usually pretty good. However Waubay has a 2 eye limit and I believe over 16″ (check the regs before you go!). You can catch many under that size also. Some of the surrounding lakes can run hot and cold, but in general fishing is usually decent. Check out this webpage for the lastest info. http://www.sdglaciallakes.com. It should be able to link you over to a number of places to stay.
    Good Luck and post after you get back.

dubiceman
    Dubuque, IA

Thanks for the info guys. We are going to mille lacs instead during august 12-19.

ittvss

Just thought I would let you know, My son and I went to Waubay this past weekend. Did a lot of fishing and just a little catching. First time it has been that slow for me. “should have been here last week” is what all of the baitshops were saying. I knew we were in trouble.

Waubay was tough to fish on Friday because of the 20-30 mph wind out of the east. Yielded only a couple of dinks.
    Spent some time on Pickerel and Enemy Swim and caught some nice Sm Mouth, (threw them back, of course) and few perch and eye’s, nothing of any size though.

I think your choice of Mille Lacs may prove to be the better choice! I have another SD trip planned for late September and we usually do pretty well. I will post a report after that. Would appreciate a report from Mille Lacs if you go, it may change my fall SD trip!. Tight Lines.

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

Don’t rule out Bitter Lake, Its about 12 miles from Waubay lake (its right in the town of Waubay). It’s a lake almost as big as waubay and usually yields bigger fish. You have a 4 fish limit and I’ve rarely had a problem catch my 4 over 16 inches. Fished it 2 days ago and only got 5 keepers between the 2 of us, but it was tough fishing with no wind

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.