june 6-13th

• abcmatthew

hi 1st time to lake vermilion, staying at moccasin point june 6th-13th. What is the fishing like in the area i will be at. will be fishing for walleye, sm.bass, and what ever else will bite. Any tips would be great. I am from lincoln nebraska.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It’s not like Canadian fly-in so dont expect the fish to jump in the boat. I’ve been there twice and it was as challenging as most lakes so be prepared to work for patterns. The lake itself is big and very beautiful as is the surrounding area and towns. On my first trip there a few years back I hired a guide for the first 1/2 day to get the ball rolling. We caught nothing. Stay close to websites like this closer to your trip for up to date info.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Spend money on a guide as mentioned, the lake is absolutely full of structure so it can be a challenge to locate fish (keep the lower unit in mind also!). Give Ed Tausk a call at Vermillion Damn Lodge to get you set up on the muski!

abcmatthew

thanks guys, any tips or insight on the smallmouth bite during this time.

HYBES
    SE MN

Last year was my first to Vermilion and fishing was very good.My best fishing from experience from lakes/rivers in this area is to fish the last week of May and the first 2 weeks of June which puts you in a good time period.I will be up there May 30th-June 6th.Big Bay,Daisy Bay,Pike Bay were all good for walleyes.We caught nice bass on the south shore of Pike Bay on the shoreline trolling for walleyes.There is a guide(Cliffs Guide Service)that I heard is good.He lives on Pike Bay.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Some decent spots for eyes next to you are the hole right by the red buoy at Moccasin Pt, Birch Point, the shore and points from Bystrom Bay (or is it Caufield bay, whatever one is just west of St Mary’s) to St Marys island and the hole just past the island across from Moccasin. The trout lake portage can be red hot that time of year too.

Just dont be afraid to fish anywhere from 5-35 FOW.

Pull up to any buoy and cast for smallies. I like areas around deeper water AND narrows early in the season.

We will be up the weekend after the opener and staying around the west end of Big Bay, I will try to post a report.

BTW, the Mocc makes a good Bloody Mary too.

jasonhoerter
    Minnesota

I just bought a place in Indian Bay last year and love it. The lake is 4-5 weeks behind schedule due to the cold water. I was just up there over the weekend and will be back up on Th. I caught about 50 bass over the 3 days but had to scale way down and fish in 3 feet or less. Got my 1st musky (36″) on a crappie spinner bait with 2″ gulp. Took me 10 minutes to bring her in with 8lb test & no leader. The smallies should start moving up on the reefs; look for the boueys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.