May 15-17 Report

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Numbers down, size up. Most of our fish came in 10-13′ of water and went from 15-21″ with most being 17-18″. Fectos point had a steady bite until about 9:30am and a decent evening bite. Not fast action, but only 1 fish caught there was less than 15″. We had about 1 fish every 20 minutes per person.

Evenings we fished the south western end of Pine Island-from Birch point side to the Lighthouse on Pine island. Decent numbers of 14 1/2 fish, but not many bigger. This was mostly an evening bite, but the some fish were active during the days.

Hit a bunch of other areas and picked up 1 fish per spot. No decent numbers. Caught 6 northern out of our boat that would all have fallen into the new slot. Historically, we would have probably caught 1-2.

Seems like each year the numbers of fish go down, but the average size is increasing about 1 inch per year. Anyone else seeing this? The fish were VERY active and hit when you marked them, just no big numbers anywhere. We caught 3-5 15+ fish for every fish under 14″. In the past, we would need to sort through 40-50 fish to get a limit of 15″+ fish. Any thoughts? Muskies? Indian Netting? Strong year class?

Most reported catching fish in deeper water-25-30′. Lots of people reported very few fish at all. We were the only ones I heard of that found a decent shallow bite.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Nice report Dave!
    Any pics from this beautiful area?
    What was your best presentation for your success on the Big V?

Last year was the first year that I have missed a trip to Vermilion in over 18 years. I have fished better waters for walleyes, but the scenery is breath taking. Even with the amount of houses and cabins that have accumulated ove rthe many years, it still has that look of prestine waters. Maybe its just me because it brings back so many memories.

Thanks for the report.
    What was the water temp?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Temps were in the low to mid 50s. The weather was 72-77 degrees each mid day w/ sunny skies.

Most of our fish came on lindys w/ a rainbow or fathead and red hook. Tried leeches and crawlers, but the bait didnt seem to make a difference. Caught a handful on cranks and some guys fishing the docks at Bayview bobber fishing had as good of a night bite as we did from the boat.

If you found fish, they were hitting just about anything. The problem was we couldnt find any concentrations of fish. Just one here and one there.

No pics taken. I have been fishing Vermilion for 26 years now (since I was 6!). The pics are permanently etched in my mind.

If you have never been to Vermilion in the winter I HIGHLY recommend it. It looks a lot different and in many ways more beautiful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.