Lake Vermillion mayfly hatch

• micah-witham
    Richfield

Last year my brother and I were up at Vermilion a few weeks later than this and we ran into a mayfly hatch that was absolutely unbelievable…it seemed to really stunt the bite for the walleyes. I am assuming it was because they were eating mayfly swimmers on the way up and had no interest in leeches or anything else. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and is there any way around it? Thanks for the advice.

birddog
    Mn.

Sounds about right to me, it seems that during the hatch the fishing slows. We were up on V 2 weeks ago and the hatch had already started. The fishing was excellent on Sat. and I was starting to notice mayflies on the surface, the next day, Sun. the fishing slowed way down. Lots of mayflies on the surface. A good presentation during the hatch is slip bobbering with small leeches.

BIRDDOG

2handsinthebox
    Off Red Rock

How long will the hatch last? I’m headed up this weekend for a week.

2handsinthebox
    Off Red Rock

Slip bobber and leeches? Did well on them last year that way on the pts. How much success have you had trolling crank/spinner when they’re suspended like that?

MTNet
    Champlin

I have succes lindy rigging with crawlers. The hatch typically peake just before July 4th. For the past 10 years on July 4th, we’ve seen mats of the bugs floating out in Big Bay the end of June, first few days of July.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.