Ice on the Big V.

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

The back bays have begun to ice over this week on Vermilion. It’s still a long way from fishable ice however the process has started.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Skim ice the past two mornings on small area inland lakes. In fact the ice that formed over night was still intact at 4 pm. Supposed to be near 50 this weekend though so wont be walking on water for awhile.
    Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

guideman

There is still lots of open water on the main lake. Our night time lows have been in the 20’s, however it will be a while before we are on the ice fishing.

guideman

Big Bay has frozen over finally, we have about 3 inches of ice on the Big water areas of the lake. There are safe places to fish on some of the back bays however, many current areas have just a thin layer of ice on them.

nowgo2fish
    Mound

Was up there 2 weeks ago and there was 6-9″ of ice got about a dozen walleyes in about 24 ft and a couple of large northerns out of Mckinley park.

Headed back up on Thurs to try again hopefully it will not be so cold this time.

guideman

Ice conditions have improved and I have been driving my truck out on the lake for about a week now.

My shack is in 30ft near McKinley park and the action has been pretty good in the last few days. My young grandson caught a 25″ walleye and we ended up with our limit of 14 to 18″ fish yesterday.

Most of the walleyes we caught were hitting on a plain black or red #6 hook. Small bright colored jigs or small spoons have also caught some fish. I have been tipping them with small suckers and shiner minnows to get the best action.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Thanks for the ice updates Terry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.