Where to start

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Taking the family to Lake Vermilion next and have never been there before. Any pointers on where to start? Deep water, shallow, rocks, weeds, jig, cranks? Just looking for a point in the right direction, we will be on the east side. thx

Michael

carver
    West Metro

When are you going? And where exactly are you staying on the east side?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

typo, next week and I think we are in Daisy bay. Mainly walleyes but will also chase bluegill crappie for the little guy when he comes along.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’ve only been up there once so I don’t have any exact spots but the key on that trip was to focus on wind blown shorelines with boulders/rip rap (same pattern that was working for us on LOTW a week ago). Something else interesting about that lake was the number of crawfish there… We kept catching them when they would pinch down on our crawlers so we baited a small minnow trap with a filleted fish and caught hundreds of them. Worked awesome on a jig for both ‘eyes and smallies.

carver
    West Metro

I’m on the west end all week. One thing I can suggest as not sure how the water temps are. But try this on that bay on the south shoreline from the tip west to the island. Troll or cast raps along the shore need to get close to the bottom. We need long line trolling going about 1.2mph.

A lot of the bass guys would be pitching jigs as well its all up to you. Just have to find depth their at. The best fishing I had on both ends were in the afternoon and dusk.

Also if you like pizza. You need to go to the VC.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

White plastic crawdad on trailer hook behind buzz bait with copper colorado blade. Biggest bass at shoreline at dawn or out on the deep humps. For slabs, try Norwegian Bay or small underwater grass islands in open parts of center of this amazing system. You know what to look for on sonar–columns suspended.

carver
    West Metro

That bay for him is good 40 min boat ride….pending how fast of a boat he’s got and how windy it is, however very doable and theirs the landing on the other side for food.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the ideas, we’ll give them a try. I typically don’t run much more than 8-10 miles, we’ll have a 4 year old along that may need to head back to the cabin.

carver
    West Metro

Send me a pm if your doing good over there. I would be curious with the water temps.

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

I was up from the 8th to the 15th of June and stayed at Bayview which is the next bay over to the east from Daisy Bay. We caught a few eater eyes shallow in 5 feet or less long line trolling in Pike Bay in the mornings. #5 or #7 Original Floater Raps in Orange color was our best. Caught a few with bottom bouncer/crawler harness in the narrow area between Moose Island and Birch Point, which is real close to you. Our last day was our best day when we decided to bring out the leadcore and fish 19-21 feet deep. Just around the east point and bay from Bayview out in the mud pulling #7 jointed shad raps. They were all between 16 and 22 inchers. We didn’t get any bigger fish that week but at least we tried. Caught a lot of nice sized Perch on the west end of Everett Bay also if your looking for those. Good luck up there and have fun on your trip.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I like Bystrom Bay for sunnies, but while he is watching a bobber, there is lots of big toothie critters cruising around that you can cast for.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.