Rainy lake the last week of May?

• stitch
    Jasper County Iowa

I just booked a houseboat for may 27th to June 3rd at rainy. I have fished this lake many times but NEVER in the spring. We’ll be targeting walleyes and crappies primarily, but will fish smallies and northerns some too. From what I’ve seen the crappies will be in the spawning areas (shallow bays) and the walleyes will be transitioning back out to deep water. I read the “Rainy Lake Trip scheduling” post, which was helpful. What should we except to catch walleyes on?

Anyone ever lake trout fish this time of year?

arklite881south

Hi Stitch,

There are no Lake trout on Rainy Lake, so you can leave the trout sticks behind. Yes in May the Crappies will be milling around spawning grounds. The stage of the Crappies in May is always greatly infuenced by both the current weather conditions and water temperatures. Many big walleyes will remain shallow while smaller walleyes “Eaters” not involved in the spawn cycle may be found in deeper haunts.

A houseboat trip on Rainy Lake is a fantastic trip!!

stitch
    Jasper County Iowa

Thanks, this’ll be my 4th houseboat trip, they’re always fun.

There’s supposed to be trout in the Rainy River, so wouldn’t they have to be in the lake?

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Hey Stitch, I’ll be leaving on my maiden voyage on a Rainy Lake Houseboat on June 5th. No help with fish locations, but I was lucky enough to book Mr. “Rainydaze” Gandrud for a day. I’m not sure if I’m looking forward more to the fishing, or “SHOtime.” . Might be worth the $$ to get a guide, even for a 1/2 day.

Trout in the Rainy would be news to me. ??

arklite881south

Quote:

Thanks, this’ll be my 4th houseboat trip, they’re always fun.

There’s supposed to be trout in the Rainy River, so wouldn’t they have to be in the lake?

Hope you haven’t been fishing for Lakers for those 4 years. Rainy Lake flows through the Dam in Ifalls dumping into the Rainy river which eventually winds it way into Lake of the woods. Lake of the Woods fish and Rainy river fish DO NOT/Cannot jump the dam entering Rainy lake. I’ve never seen a Lake Trout in the Rainy River either for that matter, but can’t say I’ve fished for them.

Regardless NO LAKE TROUT on Rainy Lake. Have a great trip!!

arklite881south

Quote:

Hey Stitch, I’ll be leaving on my maiden voyage on a Rainy Lake Houseboat on June 5th. No help with fish locations, but I was lucky enough to book Mr. “Rainydaze” Granrud for a day. I’m not sure if I’m looking forward more to the fishing, or “SHOtime.” . Might be worth the $$ to get a guide, even for a 1/2 day.

“SHO TIME” has me equally excited. I frankly cannot wait to get on the throttle!!

stitch
    Jasper County Iowa

Quote:

That must have been a rumor. Someone at a resort up there told us they were in the river and the lake. We never actually fished for them.

The houseboats are a blast, there’s some work involved, but well worth it. Some advice, when picking out your mooring spots, take the coming weather into consideration. If there’s gonna be heavy north winds, hook up on the south side of an island or in a bay protected from the north. Try and bring enough two cycle/boat gas with you so you don’t have to buy it from the place you get your boat, they’ll rape you on the cost. Also, make sure and bring more than enough beer, groceries and supplies, once you get into the park, there’s nothing, and it can be a long trip back. Lastly, theres a couple mooring sites at the mouths of channels and they are a hazard, they shouldn’t even be there. We hooked up at one near Blueberry island the last time we were there (I can’t think of the name of that channel, Kempton I think). Anyway, it got a little windy and the channel acted as a funnel causing one of the hooks to break off the bank. Our boat washed up against the bank sideways and we had a hell of a time getting it out of there without damaging anything.

What the heck is “SHO TIME”?

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

Check out the Skeeter Forum, SHO Time thread…….enjoy!!

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

It is 300 Yamaha ponies strapped to a 2100WX wave killing machine. It will be the only thing hotter then the walleye bite on Rainy next summer

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

[quoteWhat the heck is “SHO TIME”?

A dream machine to sum it up!! I cant wait for my rideIll be up slighly after you boysbut still the first week of june

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.