Northern Fishing

• bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

I am heading to Rainy in late July. We have been doing this trip for about 10 years and typically focus on walleyes only,for some reason I think I want to spend some time in the evenings throwing for northerns. I have a good rod and reel but all my big lures are close to 20 years old.I’m looking for lure advice,I was thinking big bucktails but have no clue on colors or if bucktails work. We will be staying in the Kempton Channel,so thats the area I will be fishing. Thanks in advance for any info.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just got back from Canada chasing BIG Pike… nothing came close to daredevils…. Yellow with red 5 of Diamonds doing the best

arklite881south

Quote:

I am heading to Rainy in late July. We have been doing this trip for about 10 years and typically focus on walleyes only,for some reason I think I want to spend some time in the evenings throwing for northerns. I have a good rod and reel but all my big lures are close to 20 years old.I’m looking for lure advice,I was thinking big bucktails but have no clue on colors or if bucktails work. We will be staying in the Kempton Channel,so thats the area I will be fishing. Thanks in advance for any info.

Your going to want to focus on cabbage beds and windblown main basin points/funnels. Though there may be some bigger pike in shallow water, for the most part those bigger fish will need quick access to cool water found in the deeper main basin. Normally you’ll need to burn something over top of the Cabbage, and bigger cranks like the Rapala Taildancers when ripping through the main basin points. Another proven method would be to speed troll big Raps over main basin reefs. Sometimes those big pike will be hanging over the sunken reefs eating male Walleyes. We had a “Super Tanker” hooked up today that had a hold of our 14 inch Walleye………..We only ended up with the scared to death Walleye.

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

a lure that works no matter what….

troll a bass spinnerbait in white throw on a sucker as a trailer and hang on, they them things even when nothin else is working

stitch
    Jasper County Iowa

Red and white 1 ounce daredevils have caught more big northerns for me than anything else, anywhere.

I agree with Chris about looking for the bigger fish around bay entrances, wind blown points etc that have some cover nearby. Seems like the big ones hang in the deep water and ambush food a lot. We’ve caught a lot of nice fish in these areas pretty much anytime of year. Seems like I catch more big pike on Rainy fishing for smallies than I do fishing for Pike…………

patk
    Nisswa, MN

All good advice above. If I only was able to choose two baits one would be a bucktail for the cabbage and one would be a deeper crank like the deep taildancer. Really good advice on where to target them.

For those of you who grew up reading the outdoor writer Pat McManus, you can follow his advice. “Walk into the store and just buy everything right away because you will eventually buy it all anyway.” A couple more years and I won’t even be able to carry my tackle box without a forklift.

arklite881south

Quote:

All good advice above. If I only was able to choose two baits one would be a bucktail for the cabbage and one would be a deeper crank like the deep taildancer. Really good advice on where to target them.

For those of you who grew up reading the outdoor writer Pat McManus, you can follow his advice. “Walk into the store and just buy everything right away because you will eventually buy it all anyway.” A couple more years and I won’t even be able to carry my tackle box without a forklift.

And the Tackle industry………LOVES EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.