Boat Ramps on Ottertail

• Backtroller
    North Dakota

I undertand the landing area by the outlet is really shallow now and quite a few guys are dinging up there boats. Can anyone suggest an alternate ramp or even resort where I will not have to worry abut low water?

How has the bite been in the area lakes?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

This is a problem on West Battle now too. I and other anglers had to trim up, get out of the boat and walk it up to the trailer due to the low, low water levels. This was at the Northeast landing on Battle. There are several landings on Ottertail but I have not heard which ones are in good shape right now. I’m sure someone on here will have the answer. Good luck and be careful.

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Thanks Wade. Any news on the bite up yonder? I am really excited to get on the Ottertail. We are goin to fish Pickerel, Ottertail, and Round.

Thanks for all your help and constant news.

John

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I have not been fishing the same lakes as you but here’s what I have found lately on some area lakes. Just about every walleye I’ve found has been holding tight to mid-depth weedline edges, 12 to 24 feet, depending on the lake fished. I also noticed that the walleye were very tightly grouped, so much so that I decided to stop and jig several times instead of pulling spinners. Both spinners and jigs (yellow/chart) tipped with fathead minnows worked well. Slow troll, maybe 1.5mph. I fished day time only but reading some of the reports on here I would say give the night fishing a shot pulling shallow running cranks over shallow humps. Read James’ report and apply his tactics. No reason it should not work on Ottertail just the same. I’m going back to Battle again on the 18th and will try some night fishing then myself. Best of luck and have fun!

Backtroller
    North Dakota

That ramp at the outlet is really pretty scarey! Motoring out from the ramp (2.1′) we use the bow mount and moved through 1.5′ of water! I watched boat after boat run their lower unit into the gravel. While the lake is really low, the ramp is still useable but use the bow mount to get into the lake is my recommendation!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.