Otter Tail Meltdown!

• Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Just me and the Lindy the lab in the boat yesterday as we ‘snuck’ away from the confines of resort life for a couple quick hours. In search of some walleye’s a little closer to home so our guests didn’t have to run so far was our plan. My hopes were dwindling after the first 2 spots didn’t produce anything but gators, we hit the motherload on spot #3…. Before I could even get all the slack out of the line as we began our troll, a SOLID ‘thunk’ on mr sucker.. this was the first of a handful of fish right around the 20″ mark… My trolling run was about 50 yds long, and we were fishing the deep edge of some dying cabbage in 14-19fow. We managed to put 15-20 fish in the boat in a little over an hour and kept 5 fish for dinner last night that were 15-19″. Nice for a change to actually keep some fish for myself and enjoy that fresh walleye flavor….

All fish yesterday were caught on a lindy/sucker presentation. Slower was key, and size and color made a big difference…and don’t lay the rod down!! The 14″ fish i caught would literally pull the rod right out of your hand…most fish were very aggressive.

The chew is definitely ON! Water temp was 60, and with no major warm ups on the radar…it’s only gonna get better! Now, would someone please turn the wind switch OFF?!?

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Lindy was my ‘net dog’ yesterday… She’s always ready for a boat ride so she can keep an eye on the gulls and loons, taking a break from chasing the ducks-n-geese that roam the shoreline. I’m blessed to have such a great companion… thanks again to Drew Evans for hooking me up with Lindy!

She was a little camera shy yesterday…

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

I’ve gotta give a shout out to my Lund 2010 Pro Guide as well. I know this site is LOADED with Skeeter and Ranger guru’s, but for me, this boat ROCKS! The fishability of these 20ft tillers are simply amazing, no matter if it’s just me and the dog, or if I have guests with me. They are a backtrolling, walleye catching machine! Not sure there is one thing I would change about it. Partnered with a 175 V-Rod, it’s part rocketship as well…

Here’s my baby… has to nap all summer but when fall rolls around, she’s always ready to go!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Nice report, I gotta get out there a couple times this fall. Love the new rig, cant beat it.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

I love fall. I wish the bite was like this all year round!!

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I’m glad to see you in the new Lund, did Matt take care of you?

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Matt has a hard enough time taking care of himself…

fireline
    Rochester

Nice work Trev ,keep the icons .

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Same area your big girl came from Tom. I’m still surprised those fish are already staging in that area.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Great post! That is good to hear that, that area is heating up. Nice looking rig. Do you or anybody else know how the fishing is on Star Lake I am heading up that way tomorrow.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

No info. on Star, sorry. I would think the bite on most lakes should be getting real good though. Let us know how you do.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

great report trev. Lindy sure is a good looking dog! . i cant wait for the fall bite to take off down here. its been pretty slow as of late been managing 5-8 keepers if we fish hard! has or is lindy going to do any bird hunting? or is she your extreme net girl….?

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Headed to North Dakota later this fall with her, should be a lot of fun for both of us! Until then, she’ll have her daily game of cat and mouse with the resident Otter Tail geese…

drew-evans
    rochester MN

ha well good luck you will have to let us know how the trip goes!

bthess
    Manly, IA

Thanks for the report going up to Vacationland resort in another week. Love the lake can’t wait to get up there and enjoy the awesome fall weather. Great report!

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

I will be up next weekend with a big group to beat up on those OT fish as well….this isn’t making it come any faster… Won’t be using any bait though…

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the report going up to Vacationland resort in another week. Love the lake can’t wait to get up there and enjoy the awesome fall weather. Great report!

Sounds like the weather is gonna cooperate for you Ben…70’s and light winds. Good thing you’re not here now…although the guys are still catching fish, just not ideal conditions. Clear skies should make for an excellent full moon trolling bite as well….

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Quote:

I will be up next weekend with a big group to beat up on those OT fish as well….this isn’t making it come any faster… Won’t be using any bait though…

No bait? Dyanamite? Or hand fishing like BK does for his kitty’s…

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

I should have said no LIVE bait maybe…most of our pics usually have headlamps in them too…

bthess
    Manly, IA

Cranks by night bait by day Will be up this weekend and these posts are killing me should be a blast looks like the weather might shape up to. This week can’t go fast enough. Out of curiosity what does a dozen suckers cost?

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

A measly 5 bucks….and I’m generous with my count!

Yep, weather looks to be dam nice this week…even got a south wind today! See ya in a few…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.