Are the Trout Biting around Grand Rapids?

• sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have had a few people ask me this question, I don’t chase the trout much, but it sounds like the bite is fairly slow. If you have been out chasing them, lets hear about it. The Pit Lake in Grand Rapids was stocked with some real dandies this fall, so some real nice ones should get caught this winter.
    What are the ice conditions like on the Pit?

theearlybird
    Minnesota, Grand Rapids Area

Depends on which “pit” you are asking about. The Tioga Pit is where they stoked the adult trout. These fish are brood stock from the DNR rearing ponds that get to old for good reproduction. They put them in the pits to let folks utilize them before they die. That pit was the target of a large group of anglers on opening weekend. When they got there, they found open water in the middle of the lake and only 6-8 iches of ice on the rest of the lake. There wasn’t mutch action right away, probably because of the heavy traffic. Last week some of these fish were caught. There are also some Lakers coming in from Caribou and from the other popular “pit” some folks call Canisteo and some refer to as Buckeye, Northeast of Grand Rapids. The average fishing day is about 5 or 6 hours of jigging for a couple of bites and maybe a keeper Trout. Last time I was up there, we caught two small ones and spotted a couple of others on the Vexilars. A friend caught a 25 incher up there last Thursday fishing in about 25 feet of water.
    If you’ve got the trout bug and can’t get to Canada, it’s a nice way to spend a day.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.