Red Lake June 27 & 28

• Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

It was a terrible weekend for camping & fishing at Big Bog State Park. The wind blew hard and nonstop for two days, plus there was a fair amount of rain. We wrapped tarps around our screen house to stop the driven rain from coming in. We were inside playing board games when someone poked their head in to tell us our tents were submerged in water. The river had risen and flooded much of our campsite. The tents were in 3″ of water, everything inside soaking wet. We moved them to the gravel RV spot on our site. 3 of us went out to fish. We boated down river close enough to the lake to see the breakers coming in and turned around, we decided to fish the river. I was using a 3/8 ounce jig and my line was at a 45 deg. angle upstream. The wind from due west was pushing the water up the river reversing the flow. My wife signaled us from shore to come in, the water had risen further and now the screen house was submerged. We moved that to a high spot on an adjacent campsite. The rangers told us they had not seen the river rise this much before. Sat night the wind blew so hard it pulled the stakes and colappsed our friends tent on top of them while they tried to sleep. Seemed hard to believe as the camp grounds are heavily wooded and protected from the lake wind. Sunday morning we awoke to find the screen house colapsed with broken poles. That was enough for us, we packed up and went home. My wife says her camping days are over. Those RV’s are looking better than ever.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Ouch, I have little tolerance of crappy weather when camping, especially now that I’m old enough to pack my crap and leave. Camped too many times in crappy weather as a boy scout to know there is no enjoyment or good sleep when things are wet from rain all day.

Thats sucks for sure, good news is I believe it’s a buyers market for campers, Many of those double as really nice fishhouses Could see a Dream shack in my future , now if I could only figure out how to get that and my boat somewhere at the same time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would love a camper too but the logistics keep holding me back. I’m talking about getting my boat where the camper is. I thought of small motor home to tow but I like to drive around any area I visit. If I pull camper I cannot pull boat and no way I am pulling both at the same time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.